Wigan receive apology after Chelsea 'robbery'
Wednesday 11 April 2012
Roberto Martinez, the Wigan manager, has received an apology from referees' chief Mike Riley following his side's controversial 2-1 defeat away to Chelsea on Saturday. Martinez had claimed his side were "robbed" as Chelsea scored twice from apparently offside positions.
The Spaniard has since spoken to Riley, general manager of the Professional Game Match Officials Board, over the matter and says the body accepts mistakes were made. "He just said he understands that at the level of refereeing in this league, they should get that call right," Martinez said. "I think that is very honourable. We are all capable of making mistakes and it is about how you react to them."
Martinez was strong in his criticism of the officials after the game, branding the performance of the assistant Dave Bryan as "disgusting".
It had been suggested he could face action from the Football Association over his comments, but reports have since confirmed that that willnot happen.
Bryan, who allowed goals for Branislav Ivanovic and Juan Mata to stand, was stood down from last night's game between Blackburn and Liverpool. Martinez said: "We all know mistakes happen. The problem is when you get two calls in two similar situations, and one of them is so clear. It is really tough to take.
"We are not looking to get people punished but we were stopped from getting the reward we deserved."
Wigan, who remain in the bottom three, feel they have been on the wrong end of too many injustices this season.
Blackburn were awarded a goal against them in a 3-3 draw from a corner that was incorrectly taken in November and striker Conor Sammon was wrongly sent off in December's 5-0 loss to Manchester United, though a Wigan appeal overturned the latter.
Martinez said: "We have had that sense of injustice too many times this season. But you need to look deeper than the results. A result at Stamford Bridge would have been fantastic but we can still look at the performance."
Manchester United are expected to make changes as they look to extend an eight-match winning run at the DW Stadium. Tom Cleverley and Chris Smalling are among those hoping to start, while Paul Scholes and Rio Ferdinand are likely to be rested.
Latest in Sport
Arsenal have 'too many strikers' claims Arsene Wenger, despite admitting Lukas Podolski is 'not a real centre-forward'
Arsenal transfer news: Arsene Wenger says he will be 'actively involved' on deadline day... but may not buy a striker despite Giroud injury
Fernando Torres to AC Milan: Jose Mourinho talks up Mattia Destro with Torres on verge of Chelsea exit
Mario Balotelli has been 'spoken to at length' and Liverpool have ensured he lives on Merseyside rather than Manchester
Burnley vs Manchester United: Why Louis van Gaal has been unflustered by United's terrible start to the season
- 1 Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
- 4 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage