Bill Miller withdraws bid for Rangers
Tuesday 08 May 2012
American businessman Bill Miller has withdrawn his bid for Rangers.
Miller was named preferred bidder by administrators Duff and Phelps last Thursday over a rival offer from the Blue Knights and Brian Kennedy.
However, the trucking tycoon has confirmed to the Press Association this afternoon he has now withdrawn his offer to take over the stricken Glasgow giants.
Miller informed administrators today of his decision to withdraw from the bidding process following discussions over the holiday weekend.
He described information he has received as being "more optimistic than reality" and also made reference to opposition to his takeover bid by Rangers fans.
Miller said in a statement released to Press Association Sport: "As soon as I was announced as preferred bidder for Rangers, my team began to press ahead with our due diligence.
"Until then, information had been limited to what was made available in the internet data room and questions addressed to the administrators and their staff.
"In addition, I had preliminary discussions with the Scottish footballing authorities and limited discussions with Ally McCoist.
"Upon being named preferred bidder, discussions with Rangers staff started and discussions with all interested parties intensified.
"We continued to work through the holiday weekend in order to meet a very compressed schedule.
"By late Monday night, it became clear to me that preliminary information, discussions and analysis were, unfortunately, more optimistic than reality.
"Having no intention of negatively affecting the potential outcome of the club's future and after hearing the message from Rangers supporters and fans loud and clear ("Yank go home!"), I notified the administrators today that I have withdrawn my bid for Rangers and will not be moving forward."
Look beyond the usual shows for the best festive telly
Geoffrey Macnab does not like the comedian's big screen debut
The battle for control of Stieg Larsson's £30m legacy
Latest in Sport
Tim Sherwood challenges Daniel Levy to set out vision for Tottenham Hotspur’s future
The worst owner in football? Vincent Tan faces fan backlash as Malky Mackay clings to Cardiff job
Bonuses for goals and top four finish as Luiz Suarez joins Premier League's top three earners
Luis Suarez: Liverpool striker ends exit speculation by signing 'long-term' contract
Transfer news: Tottenham Hotspur - January transfer targets
- 1 Tim Sherwood challenges Daniel Levy to set out vision for Tottenham Hotspur’s future
- 2 French pub fined €9,000 after customers returned empties to bar - because it's 'undeclared labour'
- 3 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 4 #Teamnigella: It’s the only side to be on
- 5 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'