Celtic manager latest: Steve Clarke new favourite to replace Neil Lennon after Roy Keane drops out of the running
Former West Brom manager could return to Scotland after Keane rejected chance to become new manager
Tuesday 03 June 2014
Former West Brom boss Steve Clarke is now the frontrunner to be named Celtic's new boss after Roy Keane pulled out of the race to succeed Neil Lennon.
Republic of Ireland assistant manager Keane was thought to be close to being handed the job but surprisingly asked the Scottish champions not to consider his candidacy.
That now leaves Clarke, 50, as the bookies' odds-on favourite, although there is competition from former Cardiff boss Malky Mackay and Owen Coyle, who has not worked since being axed by Wigan last year.
Ex-Chelsea defender Clarke, a boyhood Celtic fan, but was put on gardening leave by West Brom last December after the Baggies won just three of their opening 16 games.
He was officially relieved of his duties five months later, despite having led the club to eighth place in the Barclays Premier League in his first season in charge.
The Hawthorns post had been his first as a manager in his own right having worked as a number two at Newcastle, Chelsea, West Ham and Liverpool.
Keane dropped out of the Hoops selection process after deciding he would prefer to continue his work alongside Martin O'Neill.
And that move was backed by former Parkhead striker John Hartson, who tweeted: "If Roy Keane wasn't able to give 100 per cent commitment to Celtic then he was right to rule himself out."
Celtic's majority shareholder Dermot Desmond held talks with former the Manchester United skipper last week but it is understood the discussions did not get as far as a formal job offer.
A source close to the club told Press Association Sport: "Roy was not offered the job - no-one has been offered it yet.
"But he has ruled himself out and asked not to be considered for the position."
Keane will now travel with the Irish squad to the United States ahead of friendlies with Costa Rica in Philadelphia on June 6 and Portugal in New Jersey on June 10.
In a statement, the Football Association of Ireland confirmed Keane would be staying put.
It read: "The Football Association of Ireland today (June 2) confirmed that Roy Keane will travel with the Republic of Ireland squad to the US after he decided not to pursue the informal talks that took place with Celtic any further.
"The Republic of Ireland squad will gather again in Dublin on June 3 before travelling to New York on June 4."
Latest in Sport
- 1 Moscow voted the world's unfriendliest city
- 2 The excuses your boss is most likely to believe when you call in sick
- 3 I'm pansexual – here are the five biggest misconceptions about my sexuality
- 4 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches, it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don’t change Europe’s attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up