Craig Whyte's takeover bid appears to be back on track after he moved closer to winning over the independent committee of the Rangers board.
The Scottish tycoon was believed to be on the verge of completing his buy-out last Monday after agreeing a deal with majority shareholder Sir David Murray and main creditor Lloyds Banking Group.
Whyte's deal has been in the pipeline since November but hit a stumbling block last week when Rangers chairman Alastair Johnston raised doubts over the offer and revealed plans to explore a plan B, with director Paul Murray believed to be the man fronting a consortium.
However, after meeting with members of the Rangers board, Whyte appears to have taken a major step forward in convincing them about the merits of his bid.
Johnston told BBC Scotland: "The committee are now much closer to viewing Craig Whyte's bid as the right one for Rangers."
Meanwhile, Vladimir Weiss has revealed a desire to return to Rangers next season when Ally McCoist is boss.
The winger, who joined the champions on loan from Manchester City, is out for the remainder of the campaign with a broken bone in his foot.
But Weiss - who was among the Rangers fans at Sunday's Old Firm derby - hopes he has not played his last game for the club.
He told the Daily Record: "I've not spoken to Ally about next season yet. But all I know is I would love to stay at Rangers.
"The problem is, as things stand, I don't think they can afford to pay what Man City are asking. But we'll have to see if things change in the next few months.
"I need to get myself fit again and then I can look at where I'll be playing next season.
"If it's not Rangers next year then I really want to come back at some stage in my career because the club is in my heart now."Reuse content