Flo keeps Rangers in Celtic slipstream

Click to follow

The most productive partnership in the Scottish Premier League supplied further evidence that Rangers' title challenge is far from dead as Tore Andre Flo and Shota Arveladze each struck twice in the 4-0 defeat of Dunfermline at Ibrox.

Flo, who has sparked into life since Arveladze's arrival from Ajax two months ago, has now hoisted his total for the season to 16 while the Georgian striker has netted six times in just five games.

Celtic's seven-point gap remains but with another Glasgow derby on the horizon next weekend at Parkhead, Dick Advocaat's side are mounting an impressive revival.

Once Arveladze scored after just eight minutes, volleying in Claudio Caniggia's cross, they were never in doubt. Three goals in seven second-half minutes began with Flo showing dexterity to steer in a 53rd-minute shot, adding a header a minute later, before Arveladze finished off a sumptous move on the hour. Dunfermline's Moroccan international, Youssef Rossi, was later sent off.

There were also two red cards at Almondvale Stadium – both Argentinian, Dario Aurelio of Livingston and Dundee's Walter del Rio – as Livingston cemented third place, thanks to a 55th-minute header from Barry Wilson.

Aberdeen are only denied a place in the top three by goal difference, and secured a seventh successive home win with a 2-0 defeat of Hibernian at Pittodrie last night, both goals scored in stoppage time.

Robbie Winters broke the deadlock with a header and then, as Hibernian keeper Nick Colgan came up to join the search for an equaliser at a corner, a breakaway saw Hicham Zerouali seal victory.

Dundee United moved into fifth with a 2-1 home win over the bottom club St Johnstone. Hasney Aljofree's overhead kick was cancelled out by Paddy Connolly, but Jim Hamilton struck the 73rd-minute winner with a diving header before being sent off with St Johnstone's Darren Dods after the pair clashed. Kilmarnock earned their first win in six games when teenagers Kris Boyd and Paul Di Giacomo scored in the 2-0 win over Motherwell.