Injuries mount for Celtic after late surrender

Dundee United 2 Celtic 2

Click to follow
The Independent Football

Neil Lennon refused to criticise his players despite Celtic throwing away a two-goal lead in the final minutes of a pulsating Scottish Premier League clash with Dundee United at Tannadice.

The Hoops looked to be cruising with 10 minutes to go after Tony Watt had doubled the lead given to them by substitute Miku, who scored his first goal for the club since signing on loan from Getafe in the summer.

However, in the final minute of normal time United substitute Gary Mackay-Steven scored what looked like a late consolation, only for the Hoops substitute Efe Ambrose to put a Barry Douglas cross past goalkeeper Fraser Forster in injury time.

However, Lennon (below) was in forgiving mood. "It is very frustrating because we were so good. We were excellent, the level of performance was very high," he said. "Our play in general was very good, so in terms of play and chances created, everything was there. We didn't get what we deserved which was three points. But I am not going to criticise the team. There will be people out there who will criticise us but that performance was very good today. I am annoyed that we didn't see the game out, but that's football."

Lennon found himself with two additions to his injury list ahead of Wednesday's Champions League game with Barcelona at Parkhead. Georgios Samaras (ankle), Gary Hooper (hamstring) and James Forrest (hamstring) all missed the trip to Tannadice while defenders Thomas Rogne and Emilio Izaguirre came off injured.

The former Celtic captain said: "Thomas went off with a calf strain very early in the game and he is a doubt. He has been looking very good in training and I am pretty sure if he had been playing at the end those things wouldn't have happened. Forrest is also a doubt but we are hoping Hooper and Samaras will make it."

The United manager, Peter Houston, insists he still believed his side could take something from the game when they fell two behind with 10 minutes remaining. He said: "All we needed was a wee break and when you get a goal with minutes to go it sets teams rocking. I felt it was no less than we deserved."

Scorers: Dundee: Mackay-Steven 89, Ambrose og 90. Celtic: Miku 69, Watt 80