Man dies in hospital after 'suspected heart attack' leading to Kilmarnock v Hibernian match being abandoned
Game at Rugby Park called off after 54 minutes after fan taken to hospital
Sunday 05 May 2013
A man who collapsed at a Scottish Premier League match leading to it being abandoned has died in hospital, police said. The man, in his 50s, had a suspected heart attack at Kilmarnock's home match with Hibernian.
The incident occurred at the start of the second half with referee Kevin Clancy initially stopping the game, which was tied at 1-1, with five minutes played with the players then going down the tunnel when the seriousness of the situation became clear.
Medical staff from Killie and Hibs were in attendance before an ambulance drove pitchside 10 minutes later with the supporter being taken away before the club confirmed the game had been abandoned due to an off-pitch incident.
Inspector Sean Mangan, the match commander, said: "A supporter was taken ill in the East Stand, possibly a Kilmarnock fan. Ambulance staff and club doctors have been assisting with that male, he has now gone off to the hospital in the ambulance.
"It is looking like a possible suspected heart attack but of course I am not a medical professional to absolutely tell you that is the case but it is certainly serious enough that the club, in conjunction with the police and the SPL fourth official, have decided out of respect for the male and possibly his family that the match would be abandoned."
Kilmarnock chairman Michael Johnston said: "The length of time the players were off the park was a problem but the overriding factor was respect for the fan and his family.
"We are awaiting news of his condition, and thank the supporters in the ground for their understanding of the situation."
Kilmarnock manager Kenny Shiels revealed he and Hibs manager Pat Fenlon both wanted the game abandoned as a mark of respect for the fan.
He said: "We need to show respect to the relevant families and we don't know what the outcome is.
"As you know we have been through that three times in just over a year. An Inverness fan lost his life and then Liam Kelly's father.
"Football is not as important as human life so we have shown our respect and hopefully everything turns out okay.
"I heard the supporters shouting to kick the ball out and then we have seen our medical team going across and we found out what it was.
"The fourth official came and told me we need to stop the game.
"It seems to be pretty serious, a heart attack we were told.
"We waited a while to see if they could bring him round and continue the game but obviously it was quite serious so Pat Fenlon and I both agreed that the game should be abandoned.
"We were asked for our views on it, the officials and the match delegate (Frank Coulston) were very good.
"There is no decision (about replayed game), we are thinking Wednesday week, the 15th of May, that is not a definite but the most likely date."
Latest in Sport
Chelsea vs Tottenham: Eden Hazard exclusive interview - All is rosy in the garden of Eden
Arsenal vs Monaco: Theo Walcott 'involved in spat' with fans after Champions League defeat
It's time to stop the 'small club' jibes after Chelsea signed £200m Yokohama deal
After record-breaking £5.136bn Premier League TV deal, why are Everton the only British club to win in Europe?
Robbie Savage avoids driving ban - because he would get 'accosted' too much if he had to use public transport
- 1 Forget 'The Dress': Here are five of the biggest news stories you might have missed
- 2 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 5 MH370: 'Putin ordered plane to be flown to Kazakhstan space port,' conspiracy theory claims
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Aqsa Mahmood branded a 'disgrace' by her parents after claims she recruited three UK girls flying to Middle East