Rangers continue hunt for 'racist fan'

Click to follow
The Independent Football

Rangers were today continuing their hunt for the "moron" who Maurice Edu alleges racially abused him after the Champions League thrashing by Unirea Urziceni.

The Light Blues yesterday launched an investigation into the incident Edu claims took place in the Ibrox car park following Tuesday night's 4-1 Group G defeat.

The United States midfielder, 23, attended the game as he continues his recovery from the knee injury that has kept him out all season.

And he was shocked to be targeted by at least one of his own club's supporters as he left the stadium.

Rangers said in a statement: "The club will now undertake a full investigation to identify the individual in question and take appropriate action.

"We would urge anyone who has information on the identity of the individual responsible to contact the club immediately.

"Everyone associated with Rangers will once again demonstrate their ongoing commitment to 'Show Racism the Red Card' as we support the Weekend of Action at the Hibernian game at Ibrox Stadium on Saturday."

Edu went public with the alleged abuse on his Twitter feed yesterday morning, writing: "Not sure what hurt more: result last nite or being racially abused by couple of r own fans as I'm getting in my car."

Rangers' statement added: "Rangers Football Club condemns out of hand this moronic behaviour.

"The action of this individual is disgusting and completely unacceptable.

"It is extremely disappointing that people such as this attach themselves to the wider Rangers support and tarnish the image of the club and its fans."

Edu, who joined Rangers from Toronto FC in the summer of last year, revealed earlier this season racist abuse had been posted about him on Twitter itself.

The Rangers Supporters Trust condemned anyone who may have been involved on Tuesday night.

RST spokesman David Edgar told Press Association Sport: "We would absolutely condemn that if that's the case.

"These are not Rangers fans and they should be caught and prosecuted to the full extent of the law."

Billy Singh, campaign manager for 'Show Racism the Red Card', branded the alleged abuse "totally unacceptable".

"Would the same fans have reacted in the same way if he had scored the winning goal?"

Meanwhile, Rangers were today waiting to hear how long they would be without injured stars Pedro Mendes and Madjid Bougherra amid fears Mendes may be sidelined for two months.

Portuguese playmaker Mendes was forced off at half-time of Tuesday night's Unirea defeat, in which his deflected shot had given the home side an early lead.

The 30-year-old has been seen by a specialist and he was due to have scans today to determine the extent of what is reportedly knee ligament damage.

Defender Bougherra, who missed last night's game, was also set have his knee scanned after fluid settled down, allowing a more accurate assessment to be made.

He and Mendes have already been ruled out of Rangers' next two matches.

Still reeling from Tuesday night's incredible defeat, manager Walter Smith will be praying Bougherra is fit for the return with Unirea in just under two weeks' time.

Comments