Rangers recover to thwart Dundee

Click to follow
The Independent Football

It may be too late, but Rangers have finally heeded Alex McLeish's warning about clocking off early.

Savaged by their manager in midweek for losing a two-goal lead – and all hope of catching Celtic in the Scottish Premier League – in the final six minutes at Kilmarnock, the Ibrox side came from behind to snatch a 2-1 win at home to Dundee.

Shota Arveladze and Craig Moore struck within three minutes of each other after Gavin Rae's 70th-minute goal had threatened to provide Dundee with their first win at Ibrox in three seasons. An absorbing game was bizarrely scoreless until then because of the excellence of the rival goalkeepers: Stefan Klos, who denied Temuri Ketsbaia on several occasions, and Julien Speroni, one of Dundee's quartet of Argentinians.

The Scotland midfielder Rae broke the deadlock when he followed up after Steven Milne had carved apart Rangers. Arveladze did likewise three minutes later, for his 15th goal of the season, after Speroni had superbly parried Tore Andre Flo's shot, and then Moore's 76th-minute header from Fernando Ricksen's free-kick sealed the issue.

Livingston bounced back from their midweek defeat to Celtic to secure a 2-1 win away to Motherwell at Fir Park to cement third place.

The French midfielder Yann Soloy had given Motherwell the lead after 37 minutes with a tame shot which Nick Culkin, on loan from Manchester United, let in through his legs. Marvin Andrews restored parity seven minutes later, drilling in a shot from a corner by David Fernandez, and Francisco Quino sealed victory by finishing off Nathan Lowndes' 72nd-minute set-up.

Aberdeen stay fourth by virtually condemning the bottom club St Johnstone to the drop, winning 1-0 at McDiarmid Park with a 44th-minute header from Eugene Dadi. However, the battle behind them is intense. Kilmarnock moved into fifth by virtue of a 2-0 win away to Dundee United. Craig Dargo struck after three minutes and Kevin McGowne added a second-half header. Hearts rescued a point at Dunfermline thanks to Stéphane Adam's equaliser.