Scottish Premier League round up: O'Donnell dies after collapsing on Fir Park pitch

Click to follow
The Independent Football

Phil O'Donnell, the Motherwell captain, died yesterday after he collapsed on the pitch at Fir Park. He was about to be substituted 12 minutes from the end of Well's 5-3 victory over Dundee United in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League.

O'Donnell, 35, was due to be replaced by Marc Fitzpatrick, but fell to the ground as the change was taking place. He was treated for several minutes on the field, then was carried off on a stretcher to an ambulance. His nephew, David Clarkson, who scored twice for Well, was also taken off.

Capped once by Scotland, O'Donnell began his career at Motherwell and rejoined the club in 2004 following spells with Celtic, whom he joined in a 1.75 million deal in 1994, and Sheffield Wednesday.

The club's owner Jim Boyle said: "Everyone at Motherwell is shocked to the core and we are sure that everyone involved in Scottish football will feel the same. Phil was not only an inspirational player for Motherwell and club captain, but was an inspirational person." Mark McGhee, the Motherwell manager, added: "Phil was a great professional and gave everything when he played the game. This is a shocking tragedy."

Kevin Phillips scored twice as the Championship leaders West Bromwich Albion followed their emphatic Boxing Day defeat of Bristol City with another thumping home win, 5-0 over 10-man Scunthorpe. The visitors held out until 10 minutes before the break, when Phillips, with a suspicion of offside, scored. Eight minutes later, Marcus Williams was sent off for a foul on Zoltan Gera and in first-half injury time Robert Koren doubled Albion's lead. Phillips' 15th goal of the season made it 3-0 and he was denied a hat-trick when Joe Murphy saved his penalty. Gera and Craig Beattie completed the rout.

"They were wonder goals," Albion's manager Tony Mowbray said. "You almost had a goal of the season competition in one game. I thought we moved the ball around the pitch well. Early on the game was tight. It is a tactical battle as well as a physical confrontation. The longer it goes on and spreads out it becomes more of a football match."

The Robins recovered from their mauling at the Hawthorns to move up to third after a 1-0 win at Burnley, Tamas Vasko netting. Two points behind are Stoke City, fourth, who drew 2-2 at sixth-placed Plymouth Argyle. At Carrow Road, Andy Keogh headed Wolves into the lead early in the second half, but Jamie Cureton struck to earn Norwich City a point from a 1-1 draw.

At the bottom, Colchester United were left deep in trouble after Scott Vernon scored two first-half goals to steer Blackpool to a 2-0 win, while Preston North End, also rooted in the bottom three, lost 2-1 at home to Cardiff City. Southampton substitute Bradley Wright-Phillips scored twice as the Saints came back from a 2-0 deficit to draw 2-2 at Barnsley and Dele Adebola's late goal earned Coventry City a 2-1 win over Ipswich.

There was high drama in the big match in League One as leaders Swansea City beat Leeds 3-2 despite being reduced to 10 men late in the first half.