Alexis Sanchez latest: Barcelona reveal there have been 'offers' for the Arsenal and Liverpool target
Barcelona sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta confirms they have received offers for the Chilean star amid reported interest from Arsenal and Liverpool
Tuesday 01 July 2014
Arsenal and Liverpool's pursuit of Alexis Sanchez has been boosted after Barcelona's sporting director confirmed they have received offers for the Chile forward.
The 25-year-old, who joined the Catalan giants from Udinese in 2011 for £34 million, had an impressive campaign in 2013/14, scoring 19 goals in 34 La Liga appearances and continued his rich vein of form into the World Cup, scoring twice for his country before Chile went out on penalties to Brazil.
Teams such as Arsenal, Liverpool, Juventus and Atletico Madrid are all reported to be keen on signing Sanchez, and after officially confirming the signing of Ivan Rakitic from Sevilla, Andoni Zubizarreta revealed the club had received offers for the Chilean winger.
"Regarding the future of Alexis Sanchez, there have been offers for the player," the 52-year-old said.
"But I do not know how it will all end - we are looking for a solution which will be best for everyone."
It has been suggested that Barcelona will look to use Sanchez as a makeweight in any deal to sign Luis Suarez, with the Reds refusing to budge on their £80 million valuation for the Uruguay striker.
Zubizarreta did little to quell talk of a big-money move for the 27-year-old, praising Suarez for publicly apologising to Giorgio Chiellini for his controversial bite.
Barcelona are interested in Luis Suarez (pictured) and could use Sanchez as a makeweight
He said: "From my point of view Luis Suarez is not something to be analysed in connection with Barcelona. We always try to be as respectful as we can to other clubs, as I expect other clubs to be respectful towards us," Zubizarreta said.
"I think we know about the circumstances that happened in the World Cup and he's had the character and humility to first recognise that he made a mistake.
"I think that's very important. He had the honour to come out and apologise to the people who had been hurt by his actions; the opposition and also football in general in the middle of a world football festival.
"Now it's time for him to begin his recovery process. I think Luis Suarez did the best thing as a person and I also think as a footballer. What path he now takes, whether he stays at Liverpool or goes somewhere else, we will see.
"But at the moment he's a Liverpool player that's the reality. I have to say the statement does him a lot of honour."
Latest in Sport
Mats Hummels transfer latest: Manchester United to revive interest as Liverpool's Tiago Ilori could hold the key to move
Arturo Vidal to Manchester United: Midfielder set to force through move to Louis van Gaal's Red Devils - reports
Manchester United transfer news: United given new hope in race for Juan Cuadrado as Barcelona talks stall
Liverpool transfer news: Brendan Rodgers plans more Anfield signings this summer
Chelsea transfer news: Jose Mourinho confirms Fernando Torres is staying at Stamford Bridge
- 1 Scientists create transparent mouse complete with see-through organs
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness
- 3 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 4 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- 5 Amazonian Indian tribe filmed making contact with Brazil village in rare video footage
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
A new Russian revolution: The cracks are starting to appear in Putin’s Kremlin power bloc