Arsenal transfer news and rumours: Arsene Wenger prepares £25m William Carvalho bid; Moussa Sissoko wants Gunners switch

The latest transfer news and rumours surrounding the Emirates

Click to follow
The Independent Football

ARSENAL ARRIVALS…

Arsenal are being linked with a January move for Sporting Lisbon midfielder William Carvalho with a reported £25m offer being considered by Arsene Wenger. The Gunners manager has openly revealed that he is in the market for a defensive midfield target, with enough players capable of fulfilling the more attacking roles in his side. Carvalho has been on the Arsenal radar for some time but Wenger is yet to make a move, although the reports that the Frenchman is finally ready to make a move in order to beat Chelsea and Manchester United to the talented 22-year-old.

Monday's transfer talk: Messi speaks out on rumours

Carvalho also offers cover at centre-back where Arsenal have proven to be weak this season, and he would certainly strengthen the current squad given their lack of options in the holding role in midfield. Francis Coquelin has been deployed in the role in recent matches having returned from a loan spell at Charlton last month, but Carvalho would certainly be a more adequate option given Wenger’s aspirations of still challenging for the Premier League title.

 

Newcastle midfielder Moussa Sissoko continues to link himself with a move to the Emirates after telling French TV that Arsenal are “the club of his heart”. The Magpies star has been rumoured with a St James’ Park exit this month, although Paris St-Germain have confirmed they are not in the running for his signature. Despite insisting that he remains committed to Newcastle, Sissoko did address talk of a switch to a Champions League club. He told Telefoot: “If anything should happen, it will. I hope I’ll leave for a bigger club one day. England is my priority. If Arsene Wenger calls, I’ll have a man-to-man ­discussion with him and then we’ll see. Arsenal has always been the club of my heart.”

Queens Park Rangers midfielder Joey Barton made the surprise announcement that he believes the Gunners should sign Everton defender John Stones in order to give themselves a ‘Plan B’. Barton feels their desire to always play “pretty football” is costing them in the big games, and feels that 20-year-old Stones would add quality to their squad as well as a fresh approach. He said on Match of the Day 2 Extra: “If you look at Arsenal and the style they play, surely they are looking at John Stones for Everton. He fits their model.”

HEADING FOR THE EXIT…

Crystal Palace’s loan move for Yaya Sanogo looks set to go through this week after new manager Alan Pardew confirmed there will be no move for Liverpool’s Rickie Lambert. Sanogo will leave Arsenal on a short-term deal this month after Wenger revealed his desire to send him out to another Premier League club in order to play more first-team football than he is currently being afforded. Pardew has made no secret that he wants to strengthen his attacking options, which currently consists of Dwight Gayle, Glenn Murray, Frazier Campbell and former Arsenal striker Marouane Chamakh.

Yaya-Sanogo.jpg
Sanogo looks to be on his way to Crystal Palace

Young forward Benik Afobe looks to be heading to the Championship after Wolves fended off competition from Huddersfield to land the 21-year-old striker on a permanent deal, subject to a medical. Afobe has been on loan with MK Dons this season, but it appears that move will be cut short as the Gunners have decided to sell him this month. Wolves manager Kenny Jackett said: “We have agreed a fee with Arsenal for Benik Afobe and he is undergoing a medical this weekend. We are working towards concluding that early next week. I watched him come through at Arsenal and watched his progress to this time. We feel, at 21, he fits into the bracket that we are looking for that we feel can improve us.”

Mathieu-Debuchy_1.jpg
Debuchy suffered a dislocated shoulder in this clash with Arnautovic

DILEMMAS…

Wenger may be forced to bring in more than one defender this month after Mathieu Debuchy suffered a dislocated shoulder in the 3-0 win over Stoke on Sunday. Debuchy has already missed three months this season with an ankle injury, and he will certainly miss this weekend’s crucial trip to Manchester City after he was pushed to the ground by Stoke’s Marko Arnautovic.

Comments