Arsenal transfer news and rumours: Gunners want £16m-rated Ilkay Gundogan, Arsene Wenger hits back at Lukas Podolski jibe

The latest transfer news and rumours surrounding the Emirates

Click to follow

ARRIVALS…

Arsene Wenger has reiterated his desire to sign a defensive midfielder during the January transfer window, and one man who could fulfil that role is Borussia Dortmund’s Ilkay Gundogan. The Germany international is out of contract in 18-months’ time and German media claim he is not willing to extend his stay at the Signal Iduna Park. The Mirror reports that the Gunners are ready to launch a bid for him this month that could cost up to £16m, and would add significant talent to an area of great concern.

LIVE: Friday's latest transfer news and rumours

However, Arsenal have managed to sign their first player of the transfer window – which comes in the dorm of former Chelsea captain Denis Wise’s 15-year-old son Henry. The Daily Mail reports that Wise left QPR’s academy to join their London rivals, despite his father’s obvious links with the Blues.

 

HEADING FOR THE EXIT…

Yaya Sanogo will definitely leave the club this month on loan, but it will not be to French side Bordeaux after their deadline for a deal to be done expired on Wednesday. Speaking at his pre-match press conference, Wenger said: “He will go out on loan. My preference is a Premier League club.” Both Hull and Crystal Palace have been linked with a move to strengthen their ailing attacks, while Aston Villa, Swansea, Stoke and Everton have all reportedly shown interests.

TWISTS…

Lukas Podolski has labelled Wenger “disrespectful” following his loan move to Inter Milan after being frozen out of the first-team this season. Podolski scored twice in a rare outing against Galatasaray in the Champions League group stage, but was not given another chance to impress and ended up moving to Italy for the rest of the season.

Podolski.jpg
Podolski sealed a loan move to Inter Milan earlier this month

However, Wenger has responded by claiming Podolski had not had any chances to impress due to the better options Wenger had in attack. He said: “I had many conversations with him about going on loan, and remember, he needed my agreement go out on loan. He just didn’t get enough opportunities to play. We have many players who can play in his position. Only 11 can start. When a player of his quality doesn’t get enough games, at some stage too much competition is detrimental to the player’s positiveness. It has nothing to do with his quality, there were just too many players in the same area.”

Wenger ruled out moves for two players that have been linked with a move to the Emirates in January. Firstly, he confirmed that he is not in the market for another goalkeeper despite the prospect of signing Chelsea’s Petr Cech becoming increasingly likely. Speaking at his pre-match press conference, Wenger said: “Cech is at Chelsea, we already have three goalkeepers who for me are top class. There’s big competition going on here; I have no doubt that we already have the needed quality.”

The 65-year-old Frenchman also ruled out a mega-money move for Real Madrid midfielder Isco. Reports had linked the club with a staggering £64m bid for the midfielder, but Wenger confirmed: “We have plenty of creative players here; we are short on the defensive side but not offensively. I’ve already spoken about Podolski and Sanogo leaving on loan [to get more game time]; we wouldn’t buy somebody else in attack.”

Comments