Arsenal transfer news: Real Madrid slap hefty price tag on Arsenal target Alvaro Morata
Gunners will have to splash out £24m for striker
Thursday 12 June 2014
Real Madrid want £24m for Arsenal target Alvaro Morata, according to reports in the Spanish media.
The 21-year-old striker is in high demand after manager Carlo Ancelotti said he expected him to leave Madrid this summer.
Morata made only five starts for the Champions League winners last season and was linked with a January move to Arsenal, but expressed a desire to stay and fight for his place.
The striker's contract at the club ends next summer and although Ancelotti has hinted that a loan deal for the player might be most likely, it is also understood that the club will consider big offers for Morata.
Madrid are thought to be willing to lower their price demands on the condition that a repurchase clause is inserted into the deal.
However it is understood that potential suitors Arsenal and Wolfsburg are unwilling to agree to to such a clause and not prepared to spend as much as £24m on the player.
Morata's team are thought to be keen to press on with any deal as soon as possible, not waiting for the end of the World Cup.
Latest in Sport
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget