Atletico Madrid given Diego Forlan permission to discuss transfer
Wednesday 24 August 2011
Atletico Madrid have given Uruguay striker Diego Forlan permission to negotiate a possible transfer, the Spanish club said today.
The 32-year-old dropped out of Atletico's squad just before they flew to Portugal for Thursday's Europa League qualifier against Vitoria Guimaraes, and Spanish media have linked him with interest from Inter Milan.
"Forlan asked (coach Gregorio) Manzano this morning not to travel to Guimaraes because he was studying the possibility of signing for another team," Atletico said on their Twitter feed on their official website (www.clubatleticodemadrid.com).
"Manzano authorised him to stay in Madrid because Atletico have a lot at stake and need players who are 100 percent."
Forlan, a two-time European Golden Shoe winner, was voted best player of the World Cup finals in South Africa last year.
Latest in Sport
2014 World Cup draw: Roy Hodgson raises possibility of England switching base away from Rio de Janeiro
Liverpool 5 Norwich 1: Brendan Rodgers takes a swipe at Arsenal by claiming Luis Suarez is now worth '£40m and two pounds'
Transfer news: Manchester United's ambitious transfer plans at risk from possible failure to qualify for Champions League
World Cup draw 2014: England drawn with holders Spain in official Group Stage rehearsal
Manchester City sign the 'new Lionel Messi' Brahim Abdelkader, and in doing so put one over Barcelona
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail