Bellamy undergoes Manchester City medical

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Craig Bellamy is currently having a medical at Manchester City as his £14m move from West Ham inches closer.

The Wales international flew into the north-west this morning and met chief operating officer Paul Aldridge to thrash out the details of his move.

With Hamburg confirming a fee had been agreed with City for midfielder Nigel de Jong and talks beginning between Kaka, Blues chief executive Garry Cook and officials from AC Milan, it was promising to be a busy afternoon for the Eastlands outfit.

Bellamy, 29, demanded a transfer to Spurs on Friday but West Ham were unwilling to sell to their rivals and also had private concerns over how his head was turned.

He was left out of the squad against Fulham on Sunday, with manager Gianfranco Zola stating Bellamy was "not in the right frame of mind".

Hammers fans turned on the fiery former Blackburn and Newcastle star during the 3-1 victory, while Spurs fans also used internet forums to protest against signing the striker.

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp could still sign Wilson Palacios from Wigan, with suggestions that City would drop their interest in the Honduras midfielder after a breakthrough with Bellamy.

Hughes knows Bellamy well, both with Wales and at Blackburn, and has never had a problem with the player's combustible temperament.

It is not expected there will be any problem with the player's medical, and personal terms should be a formality too, given the amount of money City have at their disposal.

It seems that Bellamy will not be the only new arrival at City this week, either, as De Jong should complete his £15million move from Hamburg.

Hughes feels De Jong, fit again after a lengthy absence with a knee injury picked up on international duty, can bring much-needed solidity to his midfield.

Both men are expected to be in the squad for the January 28 meeting with Newcastle.

Meanwhile, Kaka's father Bosco Leite met Cook and the remainder of City's delegation as the next stage in what would be the most amazing transfer in living memory.

It is thought Milan will do a deal at the price City have stipulated, thought to be £108m, as it would allow them to wipe out a vast part of their debt.

Milan's supporters are not too happy though and made their displeasure felt at the San Siro during Saturday's win over Fiorentina.

However, that is unlikely to matter and Hughes is fully supportive of the City board as they try to complete the deal.

"We are very much together on the fact that we want to bring one of the top players in the world to City," he said.

"That is the motivation behind this whole situation. The owners understand it will take a long time to get where we want to and are more prudent than perhaps is being portrayed."

Hughes has hit out at critics of the audacious move, with Kaka set to pocket a massive weekly wage, estimated in some quarters to be £500,000.

Hughes, while not exactly claiming such figures were wide of the mark, defended City's position.

"I have been a little disappointed about some of the reactions to the prospect of a fantastic player coming to City," Hughes told the Manchester Evening News.

"There are some elements of the media who are talking about a deal and how much Kaka is going to earn when those things are a long way from being talked about.

"It is being said that the player is going to get a level of wealth that some people are saying is obscene when the club are not even having those talks yet.

"People are going to have to bide their time and realise it is not a deal that is going to happen in 24 hours."

Comments