Bolton confirm Shaun Wright-Phillips talks in progress
Bolton boss Owen Coyle has confirmed talks are ongoing aimed at bringing Manchester City winger Shaun Wright-Phillips to the Reebok Stadium.
Wright-Phillips knows he will have limited chances at City this term and will be allowed to leave by manager Roberto Mancini.
However, Bolton are unable to match Wright-Phillips' estimated £70,000-a-week wages and, so far, have been unable to find a way of bridging the gap.
Work is continuing though, with Coyle admitting he would "love" to have Wright-Phillips in his squad.
"Shaun is a tremendous player," said Coyle.
"He is someone I would love to bring to the club. Whether it is possible, only time will tell.
"There are financial implications involved. Players at Manchester City are on contracts that are more than we could pay. There is a threshold we cannot go beyond.
"But there has been dialogue between our chairman and (City chief executive) Garry Cook. That is where we are at the moment. There is nothing concrete."
Coyle confirmed talks are further advanced with former Stoke striker Tuncay Sanli, who could be about to arrive on loan from Bundesliga outfit Wolfsburg.
"We are a good way down the line with that but it is not cut and dried," he said.
"He is a terrific player, who really works his socks off."
As yet though, there has been no offer for Gary Cahill, who has been linked with a big-money move to Arsenal for much of the summer.
"I am surprised there has been no firm offer," said Coyle.
"Teams have had six or seven weeks already.
"I totally understand if they have made offers and talks are progressing, but why leave it until the last minute?"
Meanwhile, Coyle said he must plan for the weekend trip to Loftus Road regardless of talks between the Premier League and Football League and various police forces which may yet result in all games being called off.
"We are all aware what is happening in the world but until we hear otherwise we have to prepare as though we have a game," said Coyle.
"We all love football and want the Premier League underway but safety is paramount and I am sure the police and councils will come to the right decision."
Latest in Sport
The muddy truth of the Christmas Truce game
Alexis Sanchez video: Turns out the Arsenal forward is brilliant at playing the piano too
Premier League: Chelsea vs West Ham match preview
Sir Alex Ferguson on Jose Mourinho: 'He's good looking, speaks five languages, wins everything - it's unfair'
Jose Mourinho on Sir Alex Ferguson: 'A good friend, a good person, a fantastic sense of humour. I like him very, very much'
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 2 Christmas comes early to Hong Kong, as millions of bank notes spill out onto busy street
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Rozanne Duncan: Ukip expels councillor for 'jaw-dropping' comments made in BBC TV interview
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Panic Saturday: 13 million Britons spend £1.2bn – while 13 million others across the country live in poverty unable to afford food