Brazil midfielder Paulinho confirms £17m Tottenham move
24-year-old to complete transfer this week
Tuesday 02 July 2013
Brazilian midfielder Paulinho has confirmed that he will leave Corinthians to join Tottenham.
The Brazilian club said that Spurs have agreed a £17m deal to sign the 24-year-old who was voted the third-best player at the Confederations Cup.
The Brazilian international said: “The other interest we got was from Inter but the only offer came from Tottenham.
”The proposal came, we sat down, analysed it and decided. It was a big decision to go to a big club. There comes a certain point when you need new challenges.“
Corinthians said in a statement on their website that Spurs were set to pay €20m (£17m) to release the player from his current deal.
”It's hard to say anything at a moment like this, but I am sure those were three wonderful years in my career, with many titles and working with the right people, who always helped me,“Paulinho, 24, told reporters.
”What I have to say to Corinthians is 'see you soon'. Pretty soon I'll be back, owing to everything you have done for me.“
The statement from Corinthians thanked Paulinho for his contribution to the team, with the midfielder helping them win the Campeonato Brasileiro in 2011 and both the Copa Libertadores and the Club World Cup last year.
Paulinho will be add a new dimension to Tottenham’s play with his power from the middle of the park, with the new signing possibly ending England international Scott Parker’s career at White Hart Lane. Furthermore, Paulinho is set to be the first of several big name signings for spurs as Spurs manager André Villas-Boas looks to improve on last year’s fifth place position.
The 24 year old midfielder has 16 national caps to his name, 5 goals including a crucial late winner against Uruguay in the Confederations cup semi-final. Chairman Daniel Levy is prepared to break the bank for the Brazilian and more good news for the club is that Paulinho stated that Tottenham promised Gareth Bale would remain at the club: “This summer there has been interest in their coach and their best player - and they have been clear they are both not going anywhere.”
Newly appointed Real Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti was reported to be interested in Paulinho as he looks to develop his squad but North London is Paulinho’s preferred destination.
Next season looks promising for Tottenham fans as they continue to be linked with big names, such as Barcelona’s David Villa, but their first priority will be to complete signing of Paulinho.
Latest in Sport
Liverpool injury news: Brendan Rodgers could be without up to seven players for Burnley game... as Jordon Ibe posts picture of knee brace
Pornhub: Cheeky Liverpool fan uploads Philippe Coutinho wonder-goal video to adult website
Watch the moment a basketball player reassures a small boy after a mass brawl erupted on court
Jon Stewart brings The Daily Show to WWE Raw as Seth Rollins pays the price for feud with TV presenter
Manuel Pellegrini future: Why Manchester City could turn to Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers if Pellegrini is dismissed
- 1 Home Office says Nigerian asylum-seeker can’t be a lesbian as she’s got children
- 2 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 3 Japanese island overrun with cats after population explodes
- 4 Apple and Google users being spied on for a decade because of 'Freak' security flaw
- 5 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'