Cesc Fabregas joins Chelsea: Fabregas ready to tackle 'unfinished business' as former Arsenal captain prepares for Premier League return
Spain midfielder l completed his Barcelona departure after joining Chelsea in a £30m move
Friday 13 June 2014
New Chelsea midfielder Cesc Fabregas is hoping a move to the Blues will be a perfect fit after the former Barcelona man signed a five-year deal at Stamford Bridge on Thursday.
The 27-year-old is currently preparing for the start of the World Cup with reigning champions Spain but completed his transfer to Chelsea for £30million and is looking forward to working under Jose Mourinho in a quest for more silverware.
Despite having an eight-year spell at Arsenal, Fabregas only won the FA Cup and added several medals to his collection at the Nou Camp to go alongside his World Cup and European Championships triumphs.
With reigning champions Manchester City and former suitors Manchester United also believed to have been in the race for Fabregas' signature, alongside Chelsea, he confirmed Arsenal had decided against exercising their first-option on their former skipper.
Now he is ready to win more trophies in England with his new employers as Blues boss Mourinho looks to build a side that can improve on last season's empty-handed campaign.
"I do feel that I have unfinished business in the Premier League and now is the right time for me to return," he said in a statement.
"Yes, everyone knows that Arsenal had the first option to sign me. They decided not to take this option and therefore it wasn't meant to be. I wish them well in the future.
"I considered all the other offers very carefully and I firmly believe that.
"Chelsea is the best choice. They match my footballing ambitions with their hunger and desire to win trophies.
"They have an amazing squad of players and an incredible manager. I am fully committed to this team and I can't wait to start playing."
Read more: Brazil 3 Croatia 1 match report
Kovac rages at referee decisions after Croatia defeat
Referee plays his part in controversial opener
Like Chelsea, Barcelona also ended last year with no silverware and Fabregas was allowed to depart.
"I would like to thank everyone at Barcelona where I enjoyed three wonderful years," he said.
"It was my childhood club and I will always be proud and honoured that I had a chance to play for such a great team."
Fabregas is likely to be joined in west London by Spain team-mate Diego Costa before the start of the new season as the Atletico Madrid forward has long been targeted by Mourinho to solve his goalscoring issues.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 3 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 4 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians