Chelsea agree £8m deal for Netherlands midfielder Marco van Ginkel
The 20-year-old played a role at the European Under-21 championships
Thursday 04 July 2013
Chelsea have reached an agreement over the signing of midfielder Marco van Ginkel from Vitesse Arnhem.
The 20-year-old, who played for Holland in this year's European Under-21 Championships having made his senior debut last year, has two years remaining on his contract with the Eredivisie club and will reportedly cost the Blues £8m.
A short statement on Chelsea's website said: "Chelsea Football Club and Vitesse Arnhem have reached an agreement for the transfer of Marco van Ginkel.
"The player will join Chelsea subject to a medical, agreement of personal terms and legal documentation."
Van Ginkel has come up through the ranks at Vitesse, making his senior debut in 2010 and establishing himself as a regular in the starting line-up last season.
He would become Jose Mourinho's second summer signing following the arrival of Andre Schurrle from Bayer Leverkusen.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 2 Greece debt crisis explained: A history of just how the country landed itself in such a mess
- 3 People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
- 4 Greek debt crisis: Yanis Varoufakis's funniest (and most memorable) quotes
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Sickness and disability benefits could be reduced by £30 a week as part of £12bn welfare cuts