Chelsea confirm making bid for Porto defender Alvaro Pereira
Chelsea have made a bid for Porto defender Alvaro Pereira, manager Andre Villas-Boas has confirmed.
The 25-year-old wing-back, who rose to prominence playing under Villas-Boas for Porto, is highly rated, especially after enjoying a successful Copa America tournament with Uruguay and also playing a part in his country reaching the semi-finals of last summer's World Cup.
Villas-Boas is not confident of landing Pereira, though, revealing the two clubs cannot agree a price.
"The only thing I can confirm to you is that we have made a bid for him and we are very far apart in terms of numbers," said the Portuguese today.
When asked if he was confident a deal could be done, he added: "Not very confident."
Primarily a left-back, if Pereira arrived it would potentially cast doubt on Ashley Cole's previously unquestioned place in Chelsea's team.
Latest in Sport
Sheffield United vs Tottenham match report: Christian Eriksen breaks hearts after Che Adams had brought Blades back from the brink
Gabriel Paulista: Talented Brazilian could grow into world-class defender at Arsenal
Tottenham player ratings: Christian Eriksen? Harry Kane? Who was the star man at Bramall Lane?
Andy Murray vs Tomas Berydch: Murray cool over reunion with coach Dani Vallverdu at the Australian Open
Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao: Pair meet at NBA game and exchange numbers, will the fight be announced during Super Bowl?
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 3 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures