Cristiano Ronaldo continues to be linked with a sensational return to Manchester United next summer.
After former United right-back Gary Neville said the move was "more possible" because of the arrivals of world class stars such as Angel Di Maria and Radamel Falcao, speculation is ramping up further.
Spanish journalist Guillem Balague has said that Ronaldo, who scored during Real Madrid's 5-1 win over Basel on Tuesday night, is not happy in Madrid after the sale of several key players - along with Di Maria, Xabi Alonso also left this summer, while Mesut Ozil was sold to Arsenal last year.
Balague said that Manchester United will find no problems in finding the money to pay a fee for the 29-year-old. Having just spent a British record £150millon this summer, the club have clearly shown they are willing and able to spend.
But Ronaldo, who is under contract at Real Madrid until 2018, will still command mammoth wages with reports in German newspaper Bild stating the Ballon d'Or winner's wages could cost an eye-watering £500,000-a-week.
United just announced record revenues, though profits were down, and a new record-breaking £750m sponsorship deal with German sportswear brand adidas is set to start next season.
Balague said on Sky Sports: "...he wants to go back to Manchester United and everything is in place for him to return to Old Trafford."
Speaking last week Ronaldo himself added fuel to the speculation by refusing to rule out a return to his former club before his career ends.
"I love Manchester," he said.
"Everyone knows that — I have said it many times. Manchester is in my heart. I left many good friends there, the supporters are amazing and I wish I can come back one day."
- More about:
- Manchester United