Deco joins Scolari's Chelsea in £8m deal
Tuesday 01 July 2008
Chelsea confirmed the signing of Portugal midfielder Deco from Barcelona last night. The playmaker had recently been told by the Catalan club he did not feature in their plans and had been linked with a move to the west London club regularly in recent years.
The 30-year-old becomes the club's first signing since Portugal coach Luiz Felipe Scolari was appointed manager last month. Chelsea announced the news yesterday evening and are expected to confirm they have paid £8m to sign the two-time Champions League winner on a two-year deal.
The Brazil-born player's departure from the Nou Camp proved to be protracted due to Barcelona's valuation of around £11m for the player despite his age. That price seemed to have deterred Internazionale – who were also apparently interested – but Chelsea have managed to negotiate the price down.
Deco's arrival is Chelsea's second signing of the summer after his international team-mate Jose Bosingwa joined the club.
Sir Alex Ferguson will trust his old guard again next season as Manchester United prepare to follow up their Champions League and Premier League double. The United manager, appearing at a charity golf event at Loch Lomond, refused to discuss the possible departure of Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid.
He did, though, include the Portuguese international in a list of young players he feels will show improvement next season while revealing that stalwarts such as Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, Edwin van der Sar and Gary Neville will play an important part.
Ferguson said that Neville, who was out for more than a year with an ankle injury, will resume the captaincy.
He added: "That triumph of winning the league and the Champions League can only help us and players like Anderson, Nani, Rooney and Ronaldo will emerge from that and be top players. Nani and Anderson will improve and that is the reason we bought them."
Joey Barton will be sentenced today after pleading guilty to assaulting a former Manchester City team-mate, Ousmane Dabo, in a training-ground incident in May 2007. The Newcastle United midfielder was due to go on trial in Manchester yesterday, but changed his plea to guilty after learning that he is likely to receive a suspended sentence.
Latest in Sport
England vs Lithuania: Wayne Rooney rules out repeat of boxing celebration after son Kai repeats it at school and focuses on goalscoring record
Marco Reus becomes Arsenal transfer target to replace Theo Walcott
Paul Scholes: It's amazing Manchester United midfielder Michael Carrick has so few caps for England
New kits for 2015/16: Have the Arsenal, Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Barcelona strips been leaked?
Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao: Zab Judah denies flooring Mayweather during sparring as he prepares for 2 May
- 1 Germanwings crash: Police make 'significant discovery' at home of co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 3 Zayn Malik already working on solo material, just days after quitting One Direction
- 4 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 5 #FreeTheNipple: Women in Iceland bare breasts in solidarity with trolled student
Nigel Farage brands LGBT activists 'filth' and 'scum' and accuses them of scaring away his children after they invade his local pub
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Russia threatens Denmark with nuclear weapons if it tries to join Nato defence shield
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Germanwings plane crash live: Andreas Guenter Lubitz intentionally crashed flight 9525 into the Alps in act of mass murder and suicide – latest