Jermain Defoe is set to feature against Wigan on Sunday after completing his move back to Tottenham from Portsmouth.
Defoe agreed terms to rejoin the club he left just over a year ago earlier in the week and was paraded to fans ahead of the Carling Cup semi-final first leg victory over Burnley - but the paperwork was not filed immediately.
The Premier League now have the 26-year-old's registration and he is free to play at the JJB Stadium this weekend.
"We are delighted to welcome Jermain back to the club," said Spurs chairman Daniel Levy.
Levy said he only only let Defoe go to Pompey as his contract was running down and he needed regular football.
"We had previously been keen for Jermain to sign a new contract to extend his initial stay but at that point in time he felt it was in his interests to move on in order to guarantee himself more starts," Levy added.
"I know the club is close to his heart and that he is thrilled to be back and to once again link up with Harry."
There are Premier League guidelines preventing players returning to a club within a year but that rule is to prevent abuse of the loan system - and nothing has been deemed sinister over Defoe's move.
Boss Harry Redknapp has hinted at using Defoe in attack with Roman Pavyluchenko.
"This is the third club I have signed him for because I know what a top-class player he is as well as a proven goalscorer," Redknapp said.
The deal is valued at around £15million, with the delay occurring as Spurs were entitled to an sell-on fee, even though they were also the club buying the player. It is thought that he has agreed a five-year contract.
Defoe had told Pompey boss Tony Adams that he wanted to return to White Hart Lane, which started the process of his transfer.
"Tony made it clear he didn't want anyone here that didn't want to fight for the cause," Pompey chief executive Peter Storrie said on Sky Sports News.
Pompey are hoping to use some of the money to bolster their squad with up to three permanent additions and two loans.
"We know our replacement and targets and we are working on them now," Storrie added. "You will hear about them shortly, we hope to do something early next week."
Storrie and Adams are set to discuss whether they will make an increased offer for Middlesbrough's Gary O'Neil, after an initial approach was rejected.
"It was what we thought was a reasonable price," Storrie added.
"I am pleased to have him here and I am sure the supporters are looking forward to seeing him back in a Spurs shirt."Reuse content