Everton may consider sale of Johnson if price is right
Wednesday 09 July 2008
Everton could be about to cash in on their striker Andrew Johnson to increase the amount of transfer funds available to the manager David Moyes.
Wigan Athletic are thought to be keen to sign the striker but Everton sources claim it will take an offer of over £10m to convince Everton to sell. Moyes has publicly taken the stance that he does not want to sell the player, and Johnson has also said he wants to stay.
Therefore, for any move to happen Johnson will have to have a change of heart and express a desire to leave the club for whom he scored only six goals in 29 league games last season. He was also often on the bench last term as Moyes prefers to play one up front – Yakubu – with Tim Cahill in the hole. Moyes also has James Vaughan and Victor Anichebe as reserve forwards.
Previously when Johnson has been linked with a move away from Everton, a desire to go back to London has been a reason put forward but it is thought that the 27-year-old and his family are settled in the north-west, which could give Wigan manager, Steve Bruce, reason for hope should he have the funds.
Johnson is in Switzerland at Everton's training camp, so it is unlikely any move would be finalised before the squad return next week.
Everton are now being linked with moves for the Manchester United midfielder Darren Fletcher – who has just a year left on his Old Trafford contract – and the Real Zaragoza striker Diego Milito.
Moyes has been searching for a holding player to replace Lee Carsley, and Fletcher fits the bill.
Elsewhere, Anderson, Lucas and Jo have been named in Brazil's Olympic squad. All three – of Manchester United, Liverpool and Manchester City respectively – are named as regular Under-23 players and therefore clubs cannot refuse to release them. Milan's Kaka will not go to Beijing after his club refused Brazil's request.
Europe's leading clubs yesterday voted against Fifa's plan to restrict their use of foreign players. Members of the new European Club Association – the successor to the G14 group – used their first meeting to reject the "6+5" rule proposed by Sepp Blatter, president of the world governing body, to protect the national identity of clubs.
The rule would force clubs to start matches with at least six players eligible to play for the national team. Clubs prefer a plan put forward by Europe's governing body, Uefa, based on a quota of players on the roster who were developed in that country, regardless of nationality.
Latest in Sport
What time is the 2015 WWE Royal Rumble on? And full match card
Cristiano Ronaldo vine: Real Madrid forward sent-off for kicking and striking opponent during 2-1 win over Cordoba
Tennis fan suing Australian Open organisers for 'failing to shade spectators' during Murray match
Arsenal transfer news and rumours: Gabriel Paulista fee agreed as Gunners make £13.5m bid to sign Villarreal defender - reports
Adrian Chiles leaves ITV: Football host joins exodus with immediate effect following Andy Townsend and Matt Smith announcement
- 1 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 4 Tennis fan suing Australian Open organisers for 'failing to shade spectators' during Murray match
- 5 This crazy skiing video will leave you feeling queasy
British Muslim leaders outraged after Eric Pickles says followers of Islam should 'prove their identity'
UK terror fears: My jihadist son returned from Syria mentally scarred – now he is being ignored
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
Billy Crystal: 'Stop shoving gay sex scenes in my face'
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks