Everton transfer news: Samuel Eto'o a shock target for Roberto Martinez as Toffees chase former Chelsea striker
Arsenal also interested in the 33-year-old who Cameroon captain
Everton are hoping to beat Arsenal to the the signature of 33-year-old Cameroon striker Samuel Eto'o.
The former Barcelona and Inter Milan hitman is without a club are Jose Mourinho decided not to extend his year-long stay at Chelsea.
According to Italian website Tuttomercatoweb, Toffees boss Roberto Martinez has made Eto’o one of his main targets.
Eto’o, who scored 14 goals for the Blues last term, wants to stay in England and is rumoured to be a target for Arsene Wenger, who is looking for back-up to first choice Olivier Giroud.
Read more: Jose Mourinho confident of deal for Cesc Fabregas
Alberto Moreno's Liverpool deal stalls because of payment structure
Eden Hazard staying at Chelsea '100 per cent'
Everton would be able to offer Eto’o more first team football than the Gunners, even though they are chasing a deal to bring Chelsea’s Romelu Lukaku back to Stamford Bridge.
Eto'o is currently captaining Cameroon at the World Cup in Brazil.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Jennifer Lawrence scores first UK top 40 single with Hunger Games track 'The Hanging Tree'
- 2 Shia LaBeouf claims he was raped during #IAMSORRY art installation performance
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship
Obama: The only people with the right to object to immigration are Native Americans
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
David Cameron sets out immigration reforms: We should distrust Ukip and their 'snake-oil of simple solutions'
Ukip mocked after mistaking Westminster Cathedral – for a mosque
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police