Everton transfer news: Toffees close in on loan deal for Chelsea winger Christian Atsu - reports
A number of teams are chasing the young Ghanaian
Everton are close to beating a number of teams to complete the loan move of Chelsea winger Christian Atsu.
The exciting Ghana winger, signed for £3.5m from Porto last summer, impressed at Vitesse Arnhem last season, scoring five goals and adding six assists.
The 22-year-old is wanted by up to 10 clubs, with Aston Villa and Sunderland also chasing.
However, Everton lead the race, according to the Evening Standard, because the £28m move of Romelu Lukaku to Goodison Park also allows Roberto Martinez to take one more Chelsea player on loan.
Jose Mourinho is keen to loan his fringe players within the Premier League as well as abroad this season, with Ryan Bertrand also penning a season-long loan deal with Southampton earlier this week. That deal can become permanent for a £10million fee, should the Champions League winner impress in Ronald Koeman's new look side.
Meanwhile, Gael Kakuta completed his loan move to Rayo Vallecano on Thursday.
Recent departures follow a summer where Chelsea have strengthened with £75million worth of talent.
Cesc Fabregas, Diego Costa, Filipe Luis and Didier Drogba have all arrived during the close season, while Brazilian defender David Luiz joined French champions PSG to link up with international captain Thiago Silva.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?
- 4 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 5 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict