Former Germany international Thomas Hitzlsperger training with Everton ahead of possible transfer
Tuesday 25 September 2012
Former Germany international Thomas Hitzlsperger is training with Everton with a view to getting a contract at Goodison Park.
Hitzlsperger has been without a club since leaving Wolfsburg at the end of last season but has Premier League experience following spells with West Ham and Aston Villa.
The 30-year-old has made a positive first impression at Everton but Blues assistant boss Steve Round admits there is some way to go.
Round told the club's official website: "I have been very pleased with him.
"Thomas is a long way off playing but we have given him the opportunity to come in and it is up to him now. We will assess him over the next couple of weeks.
"He seems a really good lad and I don't think I have seen him without a smile on his face.
"What will determine whether he gets a contract is his fitness. He has had a bad injury and we would want to see that he could sustain training.
"If he could do that, he would add quality and strength to our squad. He has got a history of playing at the highest level."
Latest in Sport
WWE Raw results: Seth Rollins and Kane punish Dean Ambrose while Brock Lesnar receives a new Championship belt
Angel Di Maria: Manchester United to push ahead with £50m move for Real Madrid winger
Manchester United transfer news: Sporting Lisbon confirm Marcos Rojo deal complete with Nani heading back to Portugal on loan
Besiktas vs Arsenal: Arsene Wenger hits out at Aaron Ramsey red card decision
Arsenal player ratings vs Besiktas
- 1 Three of Pope Francis' relatives die in Argentina car crash, including two young great-nephews
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad with Jager and potatoes for vodka as campsite opens tomorrow
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
World peace? These are the only 11 countries in the world that are actually free from conflict