Gaël Clichy on verge of £7m move to City in new blow to Wenger
Manchester City finally began their summer's transfer business yesterday, moving towards a £7m deal for Arsenal's Gaël Clichy – yet another player who has been taken from under Liverpool's noses.
The deal had not been entirely concluded last night, with negotiations still to be concluded on both price and personal terms, a process rendered more difficult by the fact that the player is out of the country. But Clichy may well be the first player to arrive at Eastlands this summer and City's determination to go back to Arsenal – who have already furnished them with Kolo Touré and Emmanuel Adebayor in the past two years – suggests that Roberto Mancini has reservations about the £16m signing Aleksandar Kolarov, who was unconvincing at left-back in his first season after arriving from Lazio.
The move also comes as a blow to Wenger, who had declared hopes that he could persuade the 25-year-old Clichy to stay in north London where he falls out of contract next summer and had failed to agree new terms.
Liverpool had a £5m offer for Clichy turned down earlier this month and Italian giants Roma are also interested in his services, but City's superior offer seems to have delivered a solution to a thorny position for Mancini. Wayne Bridge had looked unconvincing before Kolarov was signed but Pablo Zabaleta deputised for largeperiods of last season. City are also currently involved in the frustrating task of selling loan players to enable them to buy. Blackburn Rovers have made a tentative offer for defender Nedum Onuoha, whose Sunderland loan has ended, and the Ewood Park club are also monitoring Craig Bellamy's situation. They are one of few clubs who might meet Bellamy's wage demands, though Celtic are alsointerested.
Mancini has said he needs another striker, regardless of Carlos Tevez's decision on his own future, and has admitted that he is an enthusiast of Napoli's striker Ezequiel Lavezzi, though the Italian club's president yesterday ridiculed Mancini's claim that the 26-year-old's €30m (£27m) get-out clause was too high as evidence that City could not afford him. Mancini has not ruled out the idea of exploring a move for Fiorentina's 23-year-old forward Alessio Cerci, though any deal for him appears to be some distance off, with neither a fee nor personal terms agreed, despite claims to the contrary in Italy media.
Latest in Sport
Chelsea players allowed 20 minutes to celebrate, says Jose Mourinho after Capital One Cup victory
Liverpool vs Manchester City match report: Stunners from Philippe Coutinho and Jordan Henderson sink Manuel Pellegrini's side
Arsenal 2 Everton 0 player ratings: Who scored highest at the Emirates?
Ireland 19 England 9 player ratings: Jonathan Sexton? Devin Toner? Alex Goode? Who was the star man in Dublin?
Chelsea vs Tottenham - Capital One Cup final match report: Captain John Terry inspires Blues triumph at Wembley Stadium
- 1 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face death penalty
- 2 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 3 Dakota Johnson's 'It's only Isis' Saturday Night Live sketch sparks controversy
- 4 Robert Mugabe eats a zoo for 'obscene' 91st birthday party
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how Corporation is funded
Russia's roadmap for annexing eastern Ukraine 'leaked from Vladimir Putin's office'