Holland left-back Erik Pieters interested in Newcastle switch claims agent
Holland left-back Erik Pieters would be interested in joining Newcastle this summer, according to his agent.
The 23-year-old PSV Eindhoven defender - currently sidelined with a foot injury - has been linked with a summer switch to Tyneside and although it is understood there has been no formal approach as yet, the idea is already interesting Pieters.
"He was interested last year," agent Piet van der Pol told the Newcastle Journal. "Newcastle United is a fantastic club and I know that Erik follows them because of his friendship with Tim Krul.
"If they come in for Erik of course he will be interested in talking to them, but right now the main thing that he is focused on is getting fit for Euro 2012. Newcastle have done tremendously this season and I know that there are a lot of players who would like to join them."
Pieters was a target for Newcastle last season after the departure of Jose Enrique, but delays in the deal led to the Magpies signing Davide Santon instead,
However, Pieters' ability to play centre-half as well as left-back has meant the club kept their interest alive.
Latest in Sport
The Prince of Wales Stakes today is regarded by many as the No1 race of the Royal Ascot meeting and ...
by Gareth Purnell
19 June 2013 02:01 AM
Today’s St James Palace looks a cracker and there has been sustained money for Dawn Approach since t...
by Gareth Purnell
18 June 2013 02:01 AM
Newcastle don’t need a football director – they need a new medical team after finishing bottom of the injury league
Newcastle United have shocked their fans by appointing Joe Kinnear as director of football but new f...
by Alex Miller
17 June 2013 04:39 PM
ACT Brumbies v British and Irish Lions - player ratings
Liverpool close in on £6m Spanish winger Luis Alberto
In pictures: Royal Ascot 2013 - Opening day
Exclusive: Cristiano Ronaldo advised to stay at Real Madrid for further 18 months before making possible switch to Manchester United
Italy Under-21s 2 Spain Under-21s 4 match report: Thiago Alcantara's hat-trick seals European Championship for Spanish youngsters
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, banking standards commission tells George Osborne
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf