Johnson heads for Fulham
Monday 28 July 2008
Everton striker Andrew Johnson was undergoing a medical at Fulham today ahead of a planned £12m transfer.
The sale of 27-year-old Johnson would give Everton boss David Moyes the funds to try again for Sporting Lisbon midfielder Joao Moutinho.
Moyes has failed with an initial £11.8m bid for the 21-year-old Portugal international, with Sporting seemingly insisting on a £20m deal.
Everton are unlikely to be prepared to go that high, but the sale of Johnson to the west Londoners would certainly help boost Moyes' transfer budget.
Johnson's career at Everton virtually ended last week when he is believed to have been reluctant to play in a friendly at Preston when he heard a move to Fulham was imminent.
Although Everton chief executive Keith Wyness denied at the time that a bid had been received from Fulham, Johnson's days at Goodison Park have been numbered ever since an angry exchange with Moyes at Deepdale.
Johnson did not travel to Chicago with the rest of the Everton squad last night, heightening the prospect of a move. The England international is believed to want a return to London for family reasons.
Now Johnson has traveled to Craven Cottage for a medical and Fulham will have to break their transfer record to sign him. Fulham paid £11.5m to Lyon for Steve Marlet in 2001.
Everton will now certainly improve their bid for Moutinho, who expressed a desire to join the club after Sporting's home friendly with Blackburn on Saturday.
Moutinho said: "Everton have already made a proposal, but Sporting did not accept. We will now see what happens in the next few days.
"But Sporting already know my will, I have already transmitted it to the people here. What is my will? With the reasons that I have, I want to leave Sporting and I hope an agreement can be found and that a good solution can be found for both parties."
Everton play Chicago Fire on Wednesday and Colorado Rapids on Sunday. If Moutinho's move is concluded, he could be unveiled in the home friendly against PSV Eindhoven on 9 August.
Latest in Sport
Nick Kyrgios calls former Olympian Dawn Fraser a 'blatant racist' after she tells Wimbledon star to 'go back where their parents came from'
Angel Di Maria to Bayern Munich: The reasons why Thomas Muller and Arjen Robben will not be joining Manchester United
Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview after being asked about possible sale of Manchester United target Sergio Ramos
Manchester United transfer news: No 9 shirt left vacant - a hint that new striker will be arriving?
Wimbledon 2015: Nick Kyrgios set for heavy fine for giving up game during loss to Richard Gasquet
- 1 Florida man sentenced to two-and-a-half years for having sex on the beach in front of a child
- 2 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 4 World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
- 5 Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Sickness and disability benefits could be reduced by £30 a week as part of £12bn welfare cuts
Greece debt crisis: Angela Merkel and Francois Hollande issue Athens with 24-hour ultimatum to avoid crashing out of the euro
Greece crisis: Referendum exposes a gaping hole at the heart of the European Union – its lack of genuine legitimacy