Keane to Villa but it's no Götze for Arsenal
Tuesday 10 January 2012
Robbie Keane trained with Aston Villa yesterday with a view to sealing a two-month loan move from Los Angeles Galaxy. The Irishman is under contract at the American club and can only move for the duration of Major League Soccer's off-season.
The Aston Villa manager, Alex McLeish, revealed after the club's FA Cup third-round victory over Bristol Rovers on Saturday that he expected to wrap up soon the signing of the former Tottenham striker, with only administration holding up the deal.
The Germany midfielder Mario Götze, who had been linked with Arsenal and Manchester United, has suggested he would be happy to sign a new contract at Borussia Dortmund until 2014. "I can imagine extending my contact at Dortmund," he said. "I have always said how at home I feel here."
Celtic, meanwhile, are monitoring the Nigerian midfielder Rabiu Ibrahim in training this week. The 20-year-old is available for free after negotiating his release from PSV Eindhoven last month. The Celtic manager, Neil Lennon, said: "He is on trial. We have got him in for a few days. We are just going to have a look at him in training this week. I know he has had a decent career up until now and he trained on Saturday and looked quite handy but again nothing more than that, just to have a look."
Fulham are ready to sign Northern Irish youngster Liam Donnelly when he turns 16. The Dungannon Swifts defender will arrive at Craven Cottage in March.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?
- 4 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 5 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict