Liverpool lurk as Sunderland's Cattermole bid fails
Saturday 11 July 2009
Sunderland have had a bid for the Wigan Athletic midfielder Lee Cattermole rejected but the player is attracting interest from higher up the Premier League and there could be yet more pressure to sell.
Liverpool are understood to have considered a move for Cattermole in the event of Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano leaving, a prospect that looks less likely after Rafael Benitez took a defiant stance about their contracts on Thursday.
However, Cattermole, who looked effective for the England Under-21s in last month's European championships where Stuart Pearce's side reached the final before losing to Germany, is attracting a lot of interest.
The former Middlesbrough midfielder was the subject of a bid, thought to be of around £8m, from Bruce, who brought him to Wigan last summer. Cattermole is relatively experienced in the Premier League for a 21-year-old and his English nationality puts a premium on him with the prospect of the "4+4" quotas the Premier League is considering introducing.
Bruce, who is close to a deal for Fraizer Campbell of Manchester United, has also lodged a firm interest in the Portsmouth striker Peter Crouch, valued at around £15m by his club. He is waiting to hear from the player who has also had interest from Fulham, Tottenham Hotspur and Aston Villa. The willingness of Sunderland to pay higher wages is making them significant players in the transfer market.
On Cattermole, Wigan manager Roberto Martinez said: "Lee is not for sale. End of story. He is a fantastic player, a leader on and off the field, and is central to our plans going forwards. We are not interested in selling him, which was why this offer was rejected immediately.
"It is not usually our style to discuss incoming or outgoing transfers until they are completed, but we have made an exception in this case because I feel so strongly about keeping Lee, along with all my best players. He is one of many talented players. Let's forget about this now and move on."
*Arsenal have confirmed that the American Stan Kroenke has slightly increased his overall stake in the club's parent holding company to 28.58 per cent with the purchase of 160 ordinary shares – at a cost of some £1.36m. Should the US entrepreneur reach the 30 per cent threshold, that would, under financial regulations, automatically trigger a formal takeover bid.
Latest in Sport
Robin van Persie to Fenerbahce: Manchester United striker 'agrees to personal terms' with Turkish side
Arsenal defender Kieran Gibbs posts bizarre video of his Miami holiday being invaded by an iguana
Women's World Cup 2015: England secure third place as they beat Germany in extra time with penalty by Fara Williams
Arsenal transfer news: Gunners will only consider 'astronomical offer' from Atletico Madrid for Santi Cazorla
Chelsea transfer news: Diego Costa wants a reunion with £25m Manchester United target Arda Turan... because he loves his kebabs
- 1 Isis propaganda video shows 25 Syrian soldiers executed by teenage militants in Palmyra
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 4 Right to die: Belgian doctors rule depressed 24-year-old woman has right to end her life
- 5 The biggest first date turnoff has been revealed
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture