Liverpool transfer news: Alberto Moreno deal is not done yet, confirms Sevilla president, but talks have taken place
Moreno is expected to make a £20m move to Liverpool should the Reds meet Sevilla's asking fee
Tuesday 12 August 2014
Liverpool remain on the trail of Seville left-back Alberto Moreno, but a deal is yet to be agreed with the La Liga club after their president confirmed negotiations are still in the preliminary stage.
Moreno is preparing for tonight’s Uefa Super Cup clash against Real Madrid in Cardiff as the 2013-14 Europa League winners go up against the Champions League holders. The 22-year-old defender has been linked with a move to Anfield this summer with Seville demanding around £20m for his services, but Brendan Rodgers is keen to strengthen his defence further after already enjoying success in the transfer window.
Rodgers has brought in Dejan Lovren from Southampton for a the same fee that Moreno is likely to cost, as well as right-back Javier Manquillo from Atletico Madrid on a season-long loan. The Merseyside club also have the option to make Manquillo’s move permanent for a £6m fee.
However, despite reports claiming that Moreno will use the trip to Wales to finalise a move to Anfield, Seville club president Jose Castro has confirmed that negotiations have taken place between the two clubs, but that’s as far as a transfer has got to at this point.
Speaking to Seville’s official club website on Monday, Castro said: “There have been negotiations [for Moreno], eight or 10 days ago, but there has been no agreement and nor is there today.
“If Liverpool's offer is suitable he will leave. If not, he'll stay and nothing will happen, absolutely nothing. We'll be at ease.”
Video: The latest transfer news
Read more: Bizarre painting of Gerrard for Sky Sports launch
Lovren can be the new Carragher, says Rodgers
Arsenal ready to make Agger bid
He added that Moreno will certainly play on Tuesday, but who appeared resigned that if Liverpool came knocking with the right offer, the player would be on his way to the Premier League.
“Yes (they are interested). Tomorrow [Tuesday] he will play for us, but I don’t know if it will happen with Liverpool”, continued Castro.
Rodgers is looking for a left-back and a striker to complete his summer transfer business. The left-flank has proven to be a problem position for the Reds, having seen right-backs Glen Johnson and John Flanagan deployed on the opposite side to their natural position.
Regular left-back Luis Enrique suffered a serious knee injury last season but confirmed last week that he is ready and fit for the new campaign should Rodgers call on him to start the first game against Southampton, while Aly Cissokho has joined Aston Villa from Valencia after Liverpool chose not to make his loan-move permanent. Mamadou Sahko is also capable of playing on the left of Liverpool’s four-man defence.
Latest in Sport
Think before you ink: Manchester United fan gets Sir Alex Ferguson tattoo - and will regret it for the rest of his life
Mario Balotelli: Staff at arson-hit Manchester Dogs' Home convinced Liverpool striker is behind five-figure donation
Colombian women's cycling team kit that makes wearer appear naked is branded 'unacceptable' by UCI president
Manchester City vs Chelsea: Diego Costa is now the main man, says Didier Drogba
Paul Scholes column: Arsenal's Mesut Ozil is too good for Arsene Wenger to waste on the left wing
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 There is literally not a single woman in this iPhone 6 queue
- 4 Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair
- 5 Scottish independence: Tory revolt against 'devo max' grows as Rail Minister Claire Perry joins
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God