Liverpool transfer news and rumours: £30m Gonzalo Higuain move looms; Reds to sign Sergio Romero; Mario Balotelli exit talk

The latest transfer news and rumours surrounding Anfield

Click to follow
The Independent Online

LIVERPOOL ARRIVALS…

Napoli striker Gonzalo Higuain continues to be linked with a move to Liverpool this month as neither club have clarified whether the Argentinian striker is set for a blockbuster £30m move or not. The Independent on Sunday reported that the arrival of Manolo Gabbiadini from Sampdoria had triggered talk of a dramatic exit for the former Real Madrid striker, with Napoli required to balance the books in order to comply with Uefa’s Financial Fair Play regulations. The Naples outfit are currently fourth in the Serie A, but are already 13 points off leaders Juventus and face another season of Champions League qualification at best.

LIVE: Latest transfer news, rumours and done deals

Liverpool are also being linked with Sampdoria goalkeeper Sergio Romero after missing out on Victor Valdes. Brendan Rodgers was hopeful of taking Valdes on trial with a view to a free transfer for the former Barcelona stopper, but Manchester United completed an 18-month deal with the Spaniard after he had been training with the club for the past two months. The Daily Express claims that the Reds will now turn to the Argentinian number one in a bid to cure their worries between the sticks with Simon Mignolet going through a difficult period of form while Brad Jones is sidelined with a thigh injury.

 

HEADING FOR THE EXIT…

Any move for Higuain is likely to be funded by the exit of striker Mario Balotelli. The Italian has flopped since his £16m summer move from AC Milan and has been restricted to appearances from the bench since his return from injury last month. Brendan Rodgers insists that the 24-year-old will not be sold in the current transfer window, but reports have strongly linked him with a loan move to Olympiakos as well as a surprise permanent switch to Paris St-Germain. A bid from PSG is subject to the French champions offloading either Edinson Cavani or Ezequiel Lavezzi, although Balotelli would cost significantly less than the possible sale of the South American duo.

 

Lucas Leiva is being heavily linked with a move to Italy after reports last week suggested Inter Milan wanted the defensive midfielder, although Sampdoria and Napoli are now both being mentioned with a move for the Brazilian as part of deals for Romero and Higuain respectively. The Reds are believed to want £7m for Lucas, who remains their only recognised holding midfielder currently in the squad, and Roberto Mancini is determined to bring in Premier League talent to strengthen Inter’s Serie A campaign.

balotelli1.jpg
Is Balotelli leaving Liverpool? Brendan Rodgers says he's going nowhere

Suso’s

move to AC Milan appears to be back on after he confirmed on Sunday night that he has had agreed a four-year deal with the Italian side. The move for the 21-year-old Spaniard appeared to hit a stumbling block at the start of this month, but the player himself confirmed that a deal had been reached and he had passed a medical ahead of a move. Suso, who is out of contract at the end of the season, told Sky Sport Italia: “I am very happy to be coming to Milan.”

GOING NOWHERE…

Rickie Lambert looks set to stay at Liverpool this month after an unlikely source confirmed the England striker is determined to fight for his place at Anfield. Crystal Palace’s newly-appointed manager Alan Pardew revealed that he held talks with Reds manager Rodgers, but was told that Lambert would be going nowhere this month as he wants to show he has the quality to cut it at his hometown club. As reported in The Independent, Pardew said: “I had a conversation with Brendan [Rodgers about Lambert] but I don’t think Rickie is going anywhere,” Pardew said following the 2-1 win over Tottenham. “I think Rickie wants to stay there and try and win his position.”

Comments