Liverpool transfer news: Mario Gotze snubs January move but Bayern Munich future remains in doubt beyond summer

Gotze is out of contract at the end of next season but insists he will not follow Jurgen Klopp to Liverpool this month

Liverpool will not be signing Bayern Munich attacking midfielder Mario Götze during the January transfer window after the World Cup winner was linked with a move to Anfield to be reunited with his former manager Jürgen Klopp.

Götze has not played for Bayern since October after suffering a thigh injury, with his last competitive appearance coming in Germany’s 1-0 defeat by the Republic of Ireland where he picked up the muscle tear.

But his future with the Bundesliga leaders was thrown into question earlier in the season when he admitted that anything could happen following Pep Guardiola’s decision to leave the Bavarian club at the end of the season, with former Real Madrid and Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti already confirmed as his replacement.

However, Götze has rubbished speculation linking him with a move to Liverpool, despite working under Klopp during their time together at Borussia Dortmund.

Götze told reporters in Germany over the weekend: “I can rule out a move to Liverpool this winter. I don't know where the rumours about Klopp and me are coming from.”

The initial speculation was triggered after Götze revealed he will only have one year left to run on his contract at the end of this season, with the player himself admitting that anything could happen in the next six months as a changing of the guard takes place at the Allianz Arena.

“It's all open, how to proceed after the season,” he said. “I have a contract until 2017, but of course, it is important how the new coach feels about me.”

Mark Ogden - What to expect from Liverpool this January transfer window

When asked directly about Klopp, Götze added: “I know Jurgen Klopp well. I've worked under him. He is a very good coach definitely.”

Despite the January snub, Götze could well crop up on Klopp’s radar in the summer, but the German will press on with his transfer business this month in an effort to increase his options after seeing 13 of his first team squad members ruled out with injury before last Friday’s FA Cup third round draw with Exeter, with the 2-2 result setting up a replay at Anfield next week.