Liverpool’s £15m bid for Downing rejected by Villa
Liverpool have stepped up their pursuit of Aston Villa's Stewart Downing but may have to pay up to £20m for the winger, despite a desire to leave which may lead him to table a transfer request next week.
Two Liverpool bids have already been made with the latest one for £15m rejected as well as the opening offer of £12m. Villa's new manager Alex McLeish is resigned to the fact that he can do no more to keep the England international, though a battle of wills seems to lie ahead. Despite Villa's demand for £20m, Liverpool's third bid next week is likely to be at around £18m. Proprietor John W Henry has made it clear that he considers English players overvalued in the summer market and that he may look abroad. The third bid may be Liverpool's last one.
McLeish did not consider Downing's departure a fait accompli in the same way as Ashley Young's move to Manchester United when he took over at Villa Park last month. But the 26-year England international had made it clear through friends yesterday morning that he wants to leave. Liverpool's 22-year-old striker David Ngog could possibly be used as a makeweight in the deal.
Blackpool are not making Liverpool's approach for Charlie Adam easy, having indicated that they value him at £9m. The Serbian forward Milan Jovanovic, who has always looked well short of Liverpool's standards since arriving from Standard Liège last summer has said he has been told he has been given permission to find a new club, though the challenge is finding someone ready to match his £60,000-a-week wages. Jovanovic has been linked to Greek side Olympiakos as well as a return to Belgium and admitted he is open to offers. "I got the paper from Liverpool that I am free to search for a new club," Jovanovic said.
Kenny Dalglish's need of a fit Steven Gerrard for his own first full campaign back in charge at Anfield was underlined yesterday when rumours that Liverpool would not risk him for their forthcoming pre-season friendlies in the Far East proved accurate. Results were positive from a scan Gerrard underwent last week on his groin, intended to assess the extent of his recovery from surgery which has kept him out of Dalglish's side since March. Gerrard has struggled with groin injuries over the past two seasons. Dalglish said he wanted his captain fit to compete for a full season and there was no point taking any chances flying him out to Asia .
Latest in Sport
Paul Scholes: Manchester United vs Liverpool - I don't understand why Brendan Rodgers was not more attacking against Basel
Jesus Christ plays for Chelsea - that's what one in five children thinks
Transfer Talk: Nemanja Vidic to return to Manchester United; Hazard to leave Chelsea; Sunderland want Radamel Falcao
Frank Warren column: Don't bet on Amir Khan landing pay day against Floyd Mayweather
Manchester United transfer news: Kevin Strootman move edges closer
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
Nigel Farage's approval rating hits 'record low' as popularity suffers in wake of Ukip sex scandal
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
Pakistan school attack live: Taliban kill at least 132 children in 'horrifying' massacre
Sony hack: Angelina Jolie branded 'seriously out of her mind' in further embarrassing leaked email saga
Panic Saturday: 13 million Britons spend £1.2bn – while 13 million others across the country live in poverty unable to afford food