Luis Suarez latest: Liverpool striker 'has nothing left to prove' in England and should join Barcelona or Real Madrid, says his father-in-law

Gustavo Balbi says 27-year-old has 'nothing left to prove in England'

The Luis Suarez saga continues to rumble on with his father-in-law Gustavo Balbi the latest to offer his opinion on the striker's potential exit from Liverpool.

The Reds are already struggling to hold onto their talisman, who has reportedly 'decided to leave' Anfield this summer.

Amid talk of a huge bid by Barcelona, with Real Madrid also monitoring the situation, Balbi has told his son-in-law he should leave the Premier League as he has "nothing left to prove".

"It is the right time for a change," Balbi told Spanish TV station La Sexta.

"He has nothing left to prove in England. The best solution would be if he were to go to Spain.

"We would like to have them close to us in Spain but it does not matter which team he signs for. He would do very well over here.

"This would be the best move for him as he would not go to another team in England out of respect for Liverpool and their supporters."

Balbi and his family live just 15 miles away from Barcelona in Castelldefels - Suarez is a regular visitor and is believed to be fond of the area.

Barcelona are expecting to put together a massive bid for the 27-year-old, that could range from anywhere between £68m and £82m.

Brendan Rodgers is a known admirer of Alexis Sanchez - Liverpool have lodged an expression of interest in the Chilean - but the inclusion of Sanchez in the deal could lower any fee by around £24m. Liverpool are likely to reject such an offer as they are desperate to hold onto the Uruguayan.

Get Adobe Flash player

Suarez, who scored 31 Premier League goals as Liverpool mounted a surprise title challenge last season, has won just one trophy in his time on Merseyside, the League Cup in 2012.

The Footballer of the Year signed a lucrative £200,000-per-week deal at Anfield in December and while the new five-year deal is understood to have a release clause, the figure is unknown.

p13-chile-2.jpgSuarez faces a key clash in the World Cup against Italy tonight, with his side needing a win to progress alongside Costa Rica in Group D.

The striker who returned from knee surgery to score two past Joe Hart could not resist one final swipe at England in a press conference on Monday, saying he was not even fully fit for the match.

"I was not really 100 per cent fit and sometimes this happens," he said.

"I was the other day really at the limits of my physical capacity, as I was for the last match with Liverpool last season.

sUAREZ-3.jpg

"Last week I was full of cramps and I was tired but of course you have a certain experience and you can build yourself up and come to the next assignment and this is what I am doing.

"I am building myself up again for the game against Italy."

Comments