Luis Suarez: Barcelona still want striker for cut-price £40m fee but will 'insist on no-bite clause' in his contract
Barcelona had been linked with a £68m bit but reports in Spain suggest his four-month ban has seen that figure drop severley
Friday 27 June 2014
Barcelona will still pursue the signing of controversial Liverpool striker Luis Suarez and hope to capitalise on his latest ban for biting Giorgio Chiellini by paying a cut-price £40m, but on the condition that an anti-bite clause is inserted into his contract, according to reports.
Suarez will be unavailable to play for any side – club or country – until the end of October after he was found guilty for biting Chiellini. It is the third time that he has resorted to such measures during a football match, having already picked up a seven-game ban for biting PSV Eindhoven’s Otman Bakkal and a 10-match suspension for doing the same to Chelsea’s Branislav Ivanovic.
But according to reports in Spanish newspaper Marca, the Catalan club remain undeterred in their pursuit of Suarez and believe that Liverpool will now favour getting rid of the striker who has tarnished the name of the Merseyside club once again.
Read more: Fifa hand Suarez record four-month ban
Suarez's grandmother defends shamed striker
Fans prepare heroes welcome for Suarez...but where is he?
Having been linked with a £68m offer for the 27-year-old, Barcelona are believed to be confident that the Reds will now accept a fee as low as £40m in order to cut their losses on Suarez. Having been without him for the start of last season due to his ban for biting Ivanovic, Suarez is not set to miss up to 13 matches for Liverpool when the new season begins – including their return to the Champions League.
Liverpool missed out on the Premier League title last season by a narrow two points to Manchester City, and given that they dropped four points in their opening five matches with Suarez suspended, his availability could have been the difference between finishing first and second.
Suarez bites Chiellini However, Barcelona are said to favour a clause in Suarez’s contract that would involve serious sanctions “should there be any more bites or similar behaviour”, according to the same report.
The Reds have maintained their stance that they will not sell Suarez after fulfilling their promise of returning to Europe’s elite competition, but the latest incident could very well change their intention.
Video: Suarez arrives back in Uruguay for hero's welcome
Suarez pushed to leave Anfield last season as Arsenal mounted a pursuit of the striker, but their infamous £40m plus £1 bid did not pay off despite Suarez’s own best attempts to leave, claiming that the club had “reneged on their word”. Real Madrid are also monitoring the situation, although whether they will still launch a move for him in the summer remains to be seen.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Apple has installed security backdoors on 600m iPhones and iPads, claims security researcher
- 2 UK pirates will get four warning letters a year
- 4 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 5 Israel-Gaza conflict: Deadly flechette shells 'used by Israeli military in Gaza Strip’
Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crash: 'Nine Britons, 23 Americans and 80 children' feared dead after Boeing passenger jet is 'shot down' near Ukraine-Russia border
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: victims’ bodies bundled in black bags and loaded onto trains