Manchester United transfer news: Louis van Gaal tried and failed to sign German stars Thomas Muller and Marco Reus this summer
German pair were targeted by Van Gaal but neither have arrived
Wednesday 20 August 2014
Manchester United tried and failed with big money moves for both Thomas Muller and Marco Reus this summer.
READ MORE: Angel Di Maria latest: Manchester United target is Real Madrid's 'best player', says Diego Simeone
The 10 biggest transfers that could still happen: Falcao, Di Maria, Cavani, Reus, Cech and Vidal could all arrive in the Premier League
Marcos Rojo to Manchester United: Sporting Lisbon confirm deal with Nani heading back to Portugal on loan
Marco Reus to Manchester United: Germany international will 'probably' leave Borussia Dortmund, predicts Franz Beckenbauer
United have been linked with a number of players this during this window as Louis van Gaal bids to take the side that finished seventh last year back into the Champions League.
Along with the German pair, the 20-time English champions have been linked with world class stars such as Arturo Vidal, Angel Di Maria and Mats Hummels, but have so far managed only to attract Luke Shaw and Ander Herrera, while Marcos Rojo is on the way.
It has now been revealed that Louis van Gaal and the club's transfer mogul Ed Woodward offered large sums to try and bring the pair of German stars to Old Trafford.
Thomas Muller's admitted to German newspaper Bild that he said no thanks to an "astronomical" offer made by United.
"I knew that I would have earned more money," he said when asked about a United offer. "The sums from other clubs which circulated had been astronomical.
Video: The latest transfer news
"I can just say: a transfer for me was never an option. FC Bayern is my club."
Van Gaal was the man to give Muller his Bayern debut as a 19-year-old and since then the Germany striker has risen to become one of the world's best goalscorers. His five goals helped Germany win the World Cup in Brazil and he scored 26 goals in all competitions last season as Pep Guardiola's team won the league and cup double.
Borussia Dortmund forward Marco Reus is one of the hottest properties in Europe, after it was revealed he will be able to leave for just £20m next summer because of a release clause in his contract. Van Gaal (centre) and Ed Woodward (right) have struggled to bring players to United during this window
The 25-year-old scored 23 goals for Dortmund last season, mainly playing from the left, but missed the World Cup because of injury.
Atletico Madrid are one of the clubs to have been linked with Reus, but club president Enrique Cerezo rubbished those claims, stating that Manchester United had tried and failed with a bigger bid than the Spanish champions could muster.
"I don’t know where the Marco Reus rumour came from. It’s a player who, at this time, is impossible to us," he said.
"Look, he had an offer for a lot of money from Manchester United and he has not gone… we will not sign him with a lesser offer."
United are set for a frenzied end to the transfer window after defeat against Swansea, where Van Gaal was forced to hand debuts to two youngsters, exposed the paucity of his squad.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Board creates magnetic field to achieve lift
Latest in Sport
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world