William Carvalho: Manchester United will have to pay £37m to land Sporting Lisbon midfielder
United will have to meet the release clause if they want to land Portugal midfielder
Manchester United have been told they will have to pay a whopping £37m if they are to land Sporting Lisbon midfielder William Carvalho.
That is the price of the 22-year-old's release clause, but Sporting director Augusto Ignacio has admitted the club are open to selling him this summer.
"It's not like the old days when players left Sporting at any price," Ignacio told the club’s TV channel.
"We are not concerned with William Carvalho because we have alternatives, who will want to play as well.
"The termination clause ensures a great deal to Sporting. I am very pleased with the negotiations.
"It is not easy to negotiate for players, you need to be very shrewd but Sporting have a president who knows how to negotiate with anyone and what is best for the club."
Carvalho played in all three of Portugal’s World Cup matches.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Exclusive: Abusers using spyware apps to monitor partners reaches 'epidemic proportions'
- 2 Margaret Thatcher 'expressed fears of Asian rising' at Anglo-Irish summit in 1984
- 3 Sussex couple die in suspected Christmas Day 'suicide pact'
- 4 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 5 The Unluckiest People of the Year 2014 (and one very unlucky giraffe)
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk
BBC director Danny Cohen: Rising UK antisemitism makes me feel more uncomfortable than ever
Katie Hopkins speaks out on childhood obesity: 'Parents of fat children should be prosecuted for child cruelty'