Middlesbrough issue Downing warning
Middlesbrough chief executive Keith Lamb today told Tottenham to once and for all forget about signing Stewart Downing this month.
Reacting to speculation Boro had rejected a third bid for the 24-year-old amounting to £14.5million, Lamb said: "We again reiterate that no senior players will be leaving this football club during January. That is the end of the matter.
"Any ongoing media speculation is therefore meaningless and we will not continue to respond to it."
Lamb's statement came after the club had denied a further offer from Spurs had been received, although sources close to Downing were insisting the Londoners were refusing to give up on the England international.
Boro have become used to having to fend off approaches from White Hart Lane for the winger, who has caught the eye of successive Tottenham managers.
They have become increasingly exasperated - and indeed, determined not to do business - as the saga has worn on.
However, Downing's own desperation for the move to go through just 11 months after he signed a new five-year deal has left them in a difficult position.
That said, their stance has simply hardened in the wake of two bids they have acknowledged and speculation over a third, with reports claiming the Teessiders would receive £12.5m up front followed by further payments of £500,0000 up to a total of £2million each time the player completes 30 appearances.
Having seen his club turn down an initial offer amounting to around £8m, Downing handed in a written transfer request on Monday, which was rejected.
Lamb later revealed that Boro had also rebuffed an improved offer, thought to involve a package of up to £13m.
He said at the time: "We received a written transfer request from Stewart this morning. It was considered before being rejected.
"Prior to receiving the transfer request, we received an improved offer for Stewart from Tottenham.
"We immediately rejected this offer and informed Tottenham that Stewart Downing is not for sale and any further interest they have in the player will not be entertained."
Lamb's latest statement seeks to draw a line under the whole episode, although whether or not Spurs finally accept the race is run remains to be seen.
Should that prove to be the case, Boro would face the prospect of attempting to restore relations with Downing, whose father - also Stewart - revealed earlier this week that he had asked to leave because he believed the club did not share his ambition.
Latest in Sport
Frank Lampard was RIGHT not to celebrate Manchester City's equaliser against Chelsea
All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
Colombian women's cycling team kit that makes wearer appear naked is branded 'unacceptable' by UCI president
Five reasons why Louis van Gaal is a worse Manchester United manager than David Moyes
Sam Wallace: Louis Van Gaal struggled at start of Bayern’s Double-winning season, but United’s problems run deeper and this league is less forgiving
- 1 Rihanna 'nude pictures' claims emerge on 4Chan as hacking scandal continues
- 2 iOS 8 apps and features: eight iPhone settings you need to look at after you install the update
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 4 'F*ck it, I quit': KTVA reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 5 Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God