Morgan Scheiderlin transfer latest: Saints midfielder claims he has 'verbal agreement' to be sold to Tottenham this summer
Schneiderlin is pushing for a move to Spurs after the bulk of the Saints' first-team left the club
Thursday 14 August 2014
Morgan Schneiderlin claims to have verbally agreed to leave Southampton when he signed his new contract in February last year, but a change in the club’s ownership looks to have scuppered his chances of joining Spurs this summer.
The French midfielder wants to leave St Mary’s after witnessing the bulk of his team-mates leave the club. Rickie Lambert, Adam Lallana and Dejan Lovren have all joined Liverpool, while young left-back Luke Shaw was snapped up by Manchester United. Arsenal moved in for another young defender in Calum Chambers, and Dani Osvaldo also left the club after spending the second half of last season out on loan.
Schneiderlin has been expected to follow the trend after Spurs made an approach to sign the 24-year-old, but Southampton rejected the offer and stressed that there would be no more departures at the club during the current transfer window.
Video: Latest transfer news
The news, released by club chairman Ralph Krueger, infuriated Schneiderlin as he wanted to join up with his former manager Mauricio Pochettino at Spurs. He is now reported to be demanding the club honour their verbal agreement even if it was with the previous regime, although new manager Ronald Koeman insists he will not be sold.
The situation regarding Schneiderlin is just one of a number of problems that Koeman will need to address. Goalkeeper Artur Boruc is said to be incensed that England stopper Fraser Forster has been brought in from Celtic and immediately installed as number one at St Marys.
It’s believed that Boruc will hand in a transfer request should Forster start their first match against Liverpool on Sunday, and Saints will need to strengthen their squad further if they are to compete this season and stay away from the relegation dogfight at the bottom.
With six players heading out the door in recent weeks, the club have made just three signings this summer which includes the addition of a new striker – something that clearly wasn’t a high priority given Boruc’s fine form last season.
Graziano Pelle and Dusan Tadic have been added from the Netherlands after completing deals from Feyenoord and FC Twente respectively, but the squad requires serious reinforcement if they are to match last season’s credible league finish of 8th.
Latest in Sport
Frank Lampard was RIGHT not to celebrate Manchester City's equaliser against Chelsea
All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
Colombian women's cycling team kit that makes wearer appear naked is branded 'unacceptable' by UCI president
Five reasons why Louis van Gaal is a worse Manchester United manager than David Moyes
Comment: Louis Van Gaal struggled at start of Bayern reign, but Manchester United's problems run deeper and Premier League is less forgiving
- 2 Rihanna 'nude pictures' claims emerge on 4Chan as hacking scandal continues
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 4 'F*ck it, I quit': KTVA reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 5 Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God