Moutinho going nowhere
Friday 08 August 2008
Sporting Lisbon president Filipe Soares Franco insists midfielder Joao Moutinho will not be leaving the club this summer.
Everton target Moutinho publicly pleaded to be allowed to move to Goodison Park after Sporting turned down a £12.5m bid from the Merseysiders.
Reports suggest that Everton have made a second offer for the highly-rated 21-year-old, but Soares Franco insists Moutinho is staying at the Estadio Jose Alvalade.
"I can guarantee one thing," he told Portuguese sports daily Record, "Joao Moutinho was made at Sporting, he has all the affection of the entire club, we all like Joao Moutinho and want him to stay at the Alvalade.
"The file on Joao Moutinho is closed."
Moutinho received a frosty reception when he turned out for his side's friendly against PSV Eindhoven.
However, Soares Franco remained diplomatic over the fans' reaction to the Portugal international.
"Each Sporting member has the right to judge the attitude and declarations of Moutinho how they like," he added.
Latest in Sport
World Cup 2014 draw: Daunting draw but England have nothing to lose against Uruguay, Italy and Costa Rica
World Cup 2014 draw: Greg Dyke makes 'cut throat' gesture after England are drawn in 'Group of Death'
Ashes 2013-14: Mitchell Johnson is proving England are spent force
Ashes 2013-14: England's batsmen have got 'no bottle' says Geoffrey Boycott
World Cup draw 2014: England drawn with holders Spain in official Group Stage rehearsal
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail