Newcastle are happy to play a waiting game over their bids to land striker Andy Carroll and full-back Mathieu Debuchy.
The Magpies' initial approaches for both men have been rebuffed, although with both players having indicated their willingness to head for Tyneside - if only temporarily in the case of the former - manager Alan Pardew is hoping for fresh developments.
Carroll's arrival or otherwise is likely to come down to money, with Liverpool understood to be open only to a permanent transfer despite the 23-year-old's determination to prove himself at Anfield.
Newcastle's interest is based on a loan deal with an option to buy their former player, but the Reds are keen to recoup as much as possible of the £35million they handed over to lure him to Merseyside in January last year, and their respective valuations remain considerably apart.
Pardew, who has made no secret of his admiration for the England international, knows the destiny of his interest will lie ultimately with owner Mike Ashley.
He told the Evening Chronicle: "That whole process is a little bit more involved with the chairman and the board at Liverpool.
"We have got a great team here, a great squad, and if Andy Carroll comes, it will only add to us.
"It's simple, really. Sometimes transfers are done at corporate level. I'm slightly detached from that. It will be what it will be.
"It's been said that he's available and if we are involved, then we will be involved because of the figures, not anything else, because we know he's good enough."
Liverpool reportedly value Carroll at £20million, way in excess of what Newcastle would be prepared to pay, but with the frontman unhappy to learn that he may not be part of new manager Brendan Rodgers' plans and unimpressed by many of the alternatives to have been proposed, the Reds could find themselves in an uncomfortable position as the transfer window draws to a close.
The Magpies may yet be open to negotiation - although they have on more than one occasion pulled the plug on a deal when the numbers simply did not add up - but they are also prepared to bide their time.
They have done just that in the case of Lille defender Debuchy and remain hopeful of striking a deal on that front, with the 26-year-old France international signalling both his intention to leave and his frustration at the delay.
He told L'Equipe: "Despite my commitment to Lille - the club is in my heart - I am 100% committed to leaving. I want to leave LOSC.
"The coach wants to keep me, but I will not change my opinion.
"The discussions are not going very well. For now, I am stuck in Lille. LOSC want to find my replacement before I am released.
"Ten, 15 players have been suggested to them, but still nothing happens. There must be a little goodwill. It disappoints me and bothers me."
Lille boss Rudi Garcia appears resigned to losing the player, but appears determined to find a replacement before sanctioning a move.
He told La Voix du Nord: "He has expressed his wish to leave. I understand that. Now we are searching for a possible replacement."
Newcastle have been on Debuchy's trail for some time, with current right-back Danny Simpson having been linked with a series of Barclays Premier League clubs after failing to agree a new deal.
He has a year remaining on his current contract and has repeatedly insisted he would like to stay, but the club's concerted efforts to capture the Frenchman seem to suggest his future lies elsewhere.
Meanwhile, striker Papiss Cisse is likely to miss Saturday's friendly clash with Fenerbahce in Austria after missing training through illness.