Nicolas Otamendi transfer latest: Manchester City target dropped by Valencia for Champions League with deal close to completion

City yet to comment on move for centre-back

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Valencia manager Nuno has confirmed that Manchester City target Nicolas Otamendi has been dropped for the Champions League clash with Monaco.

The Argentinian centre-back, 27, has been linked with a link to City and rivals Manchester United in recent weeks, although it appears Manuel Pellegrini has beaten Louis van Gaal to the defender.

Various reports state that the defender is close to signing a deal at the Etihad, with personal terms said to be agreed and a €45million (approx. £32m) fee reached between the two clubs; however, neither Valencia or City have made any comment on the move.

When asked about Otamendi's exclusion from the squad for Wednesday's match at the Mestalla stadium, Nuno told the Spanish press: "I understand and it's logical that you want to ask me about Otamendi's situation as he is in the news.

"But I ask to respect this press conference as there is nothing more important that tomorrow's game against Monaco.

"For a few days now we have prepared for this game without the option of using Otamendi and tomorrow's game is crucial for us.

"We have confidence in those that are here. Once everything is resolved, we will make decisions and the club will announce everything."

Otamendi joined Valencia last summer from FC Porto and scored six goals in 25 league appearances to help Los Che finish fourth in La Liga this past season.

The highly-rated centre-back was also a member of the Argentina team that finished runners-up to Chile in the Copa America last month.

Valencia are hoping to return to play in the Champions League group stages after a two-year absence.

Additional reporting from PA

Comments