No parting shot from Bellamy as he drops down to Cardiff
Wednesday 18 August 2010
Craig Bellamy maintained yesterday that there were no hard feelings about his departure from Manchester City. There had been intense speculation about the striker's future since he revealed ahead of Wales' match against Luxembourg last week he was not going to be included in City's 25-man Premier League squad. Bellamy yesterday dropped down to the Championship with Cardiff, his hometown club, on a season-long loan, despite top-flight clubs in England and Scotland lining up to sign him.
Bellamy said: "Nothing's difficult about this. I had the greatest time at Manchester City at a great period in their history. I was bought to take the club on to the next stage and I feel I played a big part in doing that. The players they're signing are incredible. The next couple of years I'm sure they'll get the Premier League title, and I hope they do."
Bellamy refused to comment on reports that City would not allow him to join a rival Premier League club but praised manager Roberto Mancini. "There's no ill feeling," added the 31-year-old. "I hope he does well, he's a top manager.
"I've come down to the Championship willing to put my neck on the line. It's the hardest football decision I'll make in my career."
Latest in Sport
- 4 Alex Salmond: 'The rocks would melt with the sun before I'd ever set foot in the House of Lords'
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God