Oriol Romeu joins Stuttgart: Chelsea midfielder joins German side on season-long loan despite signing new contract
22-year-old defensive midfielder spent last season on loan with Valencia and agreed a new three-year contract extension last month
Monday 04 August 2014
Spanish midfielder Oriol Romeu has joined Stuttgart on a season-long loan from Chelsea, the Premier League club have announced.
The 22-year-old will spend the 2014/15 season in the Bundesliga after playing in Spain last term for Valencia.
A statement on chelseafc.com read: "Oriol Romeu has today (Monday) joined Stuttgart on a season-long loan.
"The midfielder, 22, who recently signed a three-year contract at Stamford Bridge, heads to the German top flight.
"The Spaniard moved to Stamford Bridge in the summer of 2011 from Barcelona, and has so far made 33 Chelsea appearances. He spent last season on loan at Valencia."
Video: The latest transfer news
Latest in Sport
Paul Scholes: Manchester City paid the price for not dealing with Barcelona's Sergio Busquets
Arsenal vs Monaco: Theo Walcott 'involved in spat' with fans after Champions League defeat
Paul Scholes: Jose Mourinho's attempt to influence football's decision-makers is not working. In fact, it may have backfired
Piers Morgan 'hurt' after Arsenal legend Bob Wilson questions his support for the Gunners and labels him a 'pompous individual'
Brooklyn Beckham to be released: Why Arsenal could regret letting David Beckham's son depart
- 1 Scarlett Johansson new band 'already hit with legal complaint' from another The Singles
- 2 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 3 What colour is The Dress, white and gold or blue and black? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Oscars 2015: Birdman beats Boyhood as Eddie Redmayne and Patricia Arquette win big - as it happened
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
Aqsa Mahmood branded a 'disgrace' by her parents after claims she recruited three UK girls flying to Middle East
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit