Oriol Romeu joins Stuttgart: Chelsea midfielder joins German side on season-long loan despite signing new contract
22-year-old defensive midfielder spent last season on loan with Valencia and agreed a new three-year contract extension last month
Monday 04 August 2014
Spanish midfielder Oriol Romeu has joined Stuttgart on a season-long loan from Chelsea, the Premier League club have announced.
The 22-year-old will spend the 2014/15 season in the Bundesliga after playing in Spain last term for Valencia.
A statement on chelseafc.com read: "Oriol Romeu has today (Monday) joined Stuttgart on a season-long loan.
"The midfielder, 22, who recently signed a three-year contract at Stamford Bridge, heads to the German top flight.
"The Spaniard moved to Stamford Bridge in the summer of 2011 from Barcelona, and has so far made 33 Chelsea appearances. He spent last season on loan at Valencia."
Video: The latest transfer news
Latest in Sport
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget