Perth Glory not interested in Michael Owen
Stoke City striker linked with move down under
Monday 07 January 2013
Australian club Perth Glory have ruled out making a move for Stoke City forward Michael Owen.
The former England international has so far failed to make an impact since joining Stoke in the summer and has been widely linked with a switch to the A-League in the January transfer window.
But the Glory have moved to distance themselves from the reports by denying interest in the 33-year-old.
"Michael is a player who comes with a high pedigree but it's not the direction I want to take the club," Perth coach Ian Ferguson said in a statement.
"I am looking for a younger player and a player who has been playing more regularly.
"I have three or four irons in the fire that I am pursuing, which is good.
"In terms of Michael, there was contact from an agent if we were interested, it was discussed at a good level, but I have made the decision he is the not the player needed at Perth Glory."
Latest in Sport
- 1 Home Office says Nigerian asylum-seeker can’t be a lesbian as she’s got children
- 2 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 3 Drugs Live cannabis trial: Hash is less harmful than any other drug, expert claims
- 4 Turkish Airlines flight TK 726 crash-lands on Nepal runway amid dense fog
- 5 Apple and Google users being spied on for a decade because of 'Freak' security flaw
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
Boris Nemtsov shot dead: Outspoken Putin critic who had expressed fears for his life is killed near the Kremlin