QPR confirm signing of Lazio striker Djibril Cisse
Tuesday 31 January 2012
QPR have completed the signing of Lazio striker Djibril Cisse, the Premier League club have announced.
The 30-year-old former Liverpool and Sunderland player has returned to England for a fee that Press Association Sport understands to be in the region of €5million (£4.18million).
QPR have confirmed that Cisse has signed a two-and-a-half year deal at Loftus Road and has been registered in time to make his QPR debut at Aston Villa tomorrow, subject to international clearance being received one hour before kick-off.
"I rate Djibril very, very highly," Rs manager Mark Hughes told the club's official website, qpr.co.uk.
"I've watched him for many years and always been impressed by what he brings to the table.
"He's a huge threat to oppositions' defences. He's got great pace, power and movement and that's something we will hopefully benefit from."
He added: "His goal record is there for everyone to see. He's scored goals wherever he's played. His record speaks for itself.
"He was desperate to come here once we showed our interest in him and we can't wait to get the best out of him."
Cisse only joined Lazio in the summer after a successful spell in Greece with Panathinaikos.
The Arles-born striker struggled for form in Italy, although he believes he can make an impact in west London.
"QPR have a hugely ambitious project," said Cisse, who will wear the number 23 shirt.
"When I talked to the manager, he spoke highly of the club and where he wants to take it over the next few years.
"He wanted to sign me at Manchester City and now I am finally here with him at QPR.
"He wants to achieve big things here - that was all I needed to hear from him."
He added: "I have unfinished business here in England.
"The English league is the best in the world. It is the league that suits me the most.
"I'm really happy to be here and I can't wait to repay the club's confidence in me, to get back to where I want to be as a player.
"I will always give 100% and I can't wait to start playing games."
Earlier this afternoon, Cisse, who had three years left in his contract with the Roman outfit, bade farewell to Lazio fans.
"I want to thank all the Lazio fans for their affection and support," Cisse said on his twitter account. "All the people that in the past few months I have met.
"I am sorry that in these past months I have not achieved the expectations that some of them had, but I've always given 100%."
Cisse becomes Hughes' fourth signing since taking over as QPR manager from Neil Warnock following the arrivals of Samba Diakite, Taye Taiwo and Nedum Onuoha.
Manchester United striker Federico Macheda arrived on loan earlier this month during Warnock's reign.
Latest in Sport
Cristiano Ronaldo buys agent Jorge Mendes a whole Greek island as a wedding present
Premier League 2015/16 preview: Club-by-club guide to the new season
Pedro to Manchester United: Louis van Gaal says £22m winger can turn Manchester United into champions
Can Arsenal win the Premier League? Is Raheem Sterling the answer to Man City's problems? Can anything stop Chelsea?
Pedro to Manchester United latest: Pep Guardiola backs his Barcelona protege to shine at Old Trafford
- 2 Dutch King Willem-Alexander declares the end of the welfare state
- 4 Giant Minion terrorises drivers in Ireland as 40ft inflatable blocks busy Dublin road
- 5 'Cool kids' can go on to become losers in later life, study finds
Is Britain really full up? Are migrants taking our jobs? Leading academic answers the most common anti-immigration claims
Calais Migrant Crisis: Deputy Mayor of Calais labels Cameron's use of 'swarm' as 'racist' and 'ignorant'
Chris Leslie: Jeremy Corbyn's anti-austerity agenda will harm the poor, says Labour shadow Chancellor
Landlords renting properties to illegal immigrants to face up to five years in prison
While we fixate on Calais, the Home Office is quietly deporting dozens of migrants on 'ghost flights'
Calais crisis: The seven claims made about the migrants - and the reality